Newton III problem involving two objects in space

In summary, the astronaut in a spacewalk exerts a force of 120 N on a satellite for 0.470 seconds to straighten his arms. Using the equations FA on S=FS on A and Xf=Xi+Vi\Deltat+1/2a(\Deltat)2, we can calculate the accelerations of the astronaut and satellite to be 1.29 m/s^2 and 0.194 m/s^2 respectively. By using kinematics, we can also determine that the astronaut and satellite will be 62.8 meters apart after 1.50 seconds. This solution demonstrates the application of Newton's Third Law and the use of kinematic equations to solve a problem.
angotta

Homework Statement

An 93.0 spacewalking astronaut pushes off a 620 satellite, exerting a 120 force for the 0.470 it takes him to straighten his arms

Homework Equations

FA on S=FS on A
Xf=Xi+Vi[tex]\Delta[/tex]t+1/2a([tex]\Delta[/tex]t)2

Those are the equations I think I use. And initial velocity should be zero, also for time I subtracted the time of the astronaut pushing off the total time

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration of the astronaut to be 1.29
and the acceleration of the satellite to be 0.194

Then I tried to fill those into the kinematic equations but I got a way large answer. I just need some guidance on where to start and such.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please state the problem exactly as given. What are you asked to find?

Im sorry we are asked to find how far apart are the astronaut and the satellite are after 1.50 ?

angotta said:
I found the acceleration of the astronaut to be 1.29
and the acceleration of the satellite to be 0.194
Good. Those are the accelerations during the push. Now use kinematics to solve for how fast they are going at the end of the push.

(Once the push is over, they move at constant speed. Then you can calculate how far they get from the starting point.)

Thank you I found the answer to be 62.8 m which was correct.

Ah Newton the Third, his laws are much less well known than his grandfather's though ;)

Related to Newton III problem involving two objects in space

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

How does Newton's third law apply to objects in space?

In space, objects are still subject to Newton's third law. For example, when a rocket is launched, the force of the rocket's engines pushing down on the ground is equal to the force of the ground pushing up on the rocket, propelling it into space.

Can Newton's third law be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Newton's third law can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you sit in a chair, your weight exerts a downward force on the chair, while the chair exerts an equal and opposite force on you, allowing you to remain seated.

What is an example of a Newton III problem involving two objects in space?

An example of a Newton III problem involving two objects in space is when two satellites are orbiting each other. The gravitational force between the two satellites is equal and opposite, causing them to continuously orbit around each other.

How does Newton's third law impact the motion of objects in space?

Newton's third law plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in space. The equal and opposite forces between two objects can result in changes in their velocity, such as when a satellite is placed in orbit around a planet due to the gravitational force between them.