Newbie Seeks Advice on Robotics Project

In summary, a high school student is interested in robotics engineering and wants to create a remote control car that can ride on vertical walls. They are looking for suggestions on how to make the car stay on the wall and move quickly. Some ideas suggested by others include using magnets, suction pads, or imitating the stickiness of gecko bristles using carbon nanotubes. Another person mentions that a similar car already exists and uses a vacuum pump and wheels to navigate on walls.
Paulo Serrano
Hey everyone,

I'm new obviously and I have no knowledge in physics at all, or engineering at that, but plan on getting into robotics engineering. I'm still in high school so I'm pretty ignorant with all of this guys so bare with me.

I just have a question and am not so sure how easy/hard it would be to do. I want to be able to make, say, a remote control car be able to ride on a vertical wall. It's a project (a personal project, not a school project) I want to work on, but I need to be able to make a pretty heavy object stay on a wall and move freely around the wall. Even more difficult, the faster it is able to move the better.

So...umm have at it guys.

I'll probably roam around these forums for a while because you guys talk about some really interesting things.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the wall is a magnetic material you could use magnets, otherwise I can't see of any way in doing this.

Suction pads? Sticky feet? Slugs, or Octopus' tentacles on hydraulic arms?

There's an old thread kicking around here somewhere called 'Improving Upon Nature' that links to a cool article about carbon nanotubes simulating (in fact exceeding) the 'stickiness' of gecko bristles. Try a forum search. I don't have time right now, but will give it a go myself later if you can't find it.

A RC car like you are describing already exists. I've seen them on sale at the Sharper Image store. It is a avery light weight car made of styrofoam that uses a vacuum pump with a sealing skirt on the wall side to "stick" it to the wall, and then four wheels to navigate around. I've never used one to see how effective they are, but I suspect they work well as long as the wall is nice and flat.

It's like this one: http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/rc-wall-climber/index.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Newbie Seeks Advice on Robotics Project

1. What is the first step in starting a robotics project?

The first step in starting a robotics project is to determine your goal or objective. This will help guide your research and design process.

2. Do I need a background in robotics to start a robotics project?

No, you do not necessarily need a background in robotics to start a project. However, having knowledge in programming, electronics, and mechanics can be helpful.

3. What materials and equipment do I need for a robotics project?

The materials and equipment needed will vary depending on the specific project. However, some common items may include a microcontroller, motors, sensors, wires, and a power source.

4. How do I choose the right programming language for my robotics project?

The programming language you choose will depend on the capabilities and compatibility of your chosen microcontroller. Some commonly used languages in robotics include C++, Python, and Java.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues during the construction or programming process?

If you encounter issues during the construction or programming process, it is important to thoroughly check your wiring, code, and connections. You can also refer to online resources and forums for troubleshooting tips and advice from other robotics enthusiasts.