Newbie Seeking Answers on Physics of R/C Cars

In summary, the conversation is about a user's first time using a forum to ask for help with a Physics summative on R/C cars. They ask for help understanding the difference between AC/DC, the components on an R/C circuit, series/parallel circuits, and what determines the speed of the car. They also mention being new to electricity. Two helpful users provide links to resources on how an electric DC motor works and specifically how it applies to R/C cars. The user thanks them and promises to read the links and ask any further questions.
GuruGhulab
Hi there, this is my first time opening a thread here, i have heard a lot about this site, and how usefull the people are on this site, so please help me out.
Okie,

For my summative in Physics, i need to talk about physics about R/C car, so right now, i have a few questions, please bare with me, i m a total newbie, when it comes to electricity.

1) What is the difference between AC/DC and how does it matter in R/C cars ?

2) what are the components on the the R/C circuit of a R/C car?

3) Difference between series/parrallel circuit, and how do they matter in R/C cars?

4) What detemines the speed of the car ?

thats it for now, please guyz help me out.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, mods just learned that no homework questions here, so please move the thread,
thanks
Sorry once again

How an electric DC motor works.

http://htw.wiley.com/htw/"

Select Chapter 9.5.
Scroll down to the links at the bottom of the webpage.
Got to the two links:
What Spins an Electric Motor
and
DC Motors​

in that order (use the back button on your browser or the Contents link at the bottom of the page to navigate back)

Feel free to post your questions here about these links.

Which means that the speed can be regulated by the supply voltage, but I would guess in real RC cars the speed is changed with a gearbox between the motor and the drive train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to both of you, for providing me with links, i m going to read through the links, and if i have any questions, i ll ask you guyz again, thanks a lot again.
take care.

Related to Newbie Seeking Answers on Physics of R/C Cars

1. What are the basic principles of physics involved in R/C cars?

The basic principles of physics involved in R/C cars include motion, force, acceleration, friction, and energy. R/C cars use a motor to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, which creates motion. The motion of the car is affected by forces such as gravity, air resistance, and drag. Acceleration is achieved through changes in force and can be controlled by the throttle on the remote control. Friction plays a crucial role in the car's ability to grip the surface it is driving on, and energy is constantly being transferred between the car and its surroundings.

2. How do different types of tires affect the performance of an R/C car?

The type of tires used on an R/C car can significantly impact its performance. Soft rubber tires provide better grip and traction on smooth surfaces, while hard rubber tires are better suited for rougher terrain. Slick tires are ideal for high-speed racing, while off-road tires with deep treads are better for navigating through dirt and gravel. Ultimately, the type of tires chosen should match the type of surface the car will be driven on for optimal performance.

3. What is the role of weight distribution in R/C car performance?

In R/C cars, weight distribution plays a crucial role in handling and speed. A well-balanced car will have better control, stability, and cornering abilities. If the weight is not distributed evenly, the car may experience understeer or oversteer, which can affect its overall performance. Adjusting the weight distribution by adding or removing weight from different areas of the car can help fine-tune its handling and optimize its performance.

4. How does the aerodynamics of an R/C car affect its speed?

The aerodynamics of an R/C car can significantly impact its speed. A car with a sleek and streamlined design will experience less air resistance, allowing it to move faster with less power. On the other hand, a car with a bulky or boxy design will experience more air resistance, which can slow it down and require more power to maintain speed. Aerodynamics can be improved by adding spoilers, diffusers, and other aerodynamic components to the car's body.

5. What are the different types of suspension systems used in R/C cars?

There are three main types of suspension systems used in R/C cars: independent, solid axle, and trailing arm. Independent suspension allows each wheel to move independently, providing better traction and handling. Solid axle suspension connects both wheels on the same axle, making it ideal for off-road vehicles. Trailing arm suspension uses a rigid arm that connects the wheels to the chassis and can provide excellent stability and balance. The type of suspension used will depend on the terrain and driving style of the R/C car.