Defintion of The Union Of Sets

In summary, the union of two sets is the set of all elements that belong to either or both of the sets. This can also be represented as the sum of the sizes of the two sets minus the size of their intersection. Different notations may be used, such as u(AUB) or A cup B. The general definition for a union of multiple sets is the set of elements that belong to at least one of the sets in the collection.
wubie
Hello,

I am having trouble interpreting the definition of the union of two sets as given in Modern Abstract Algebra in Schaum's Outlines. I can see by example but I can't seem to interpret the definition. Could someone reword this for me or give me another spin on this definition? Thankyou.

Defintion as in Modern Abstract Algebra in Schaum's Outlines

Let A and B be given sets. The set of all elements which belong to A alone or to B alone or to both A and B is called the union of A and B.

I understand the example:

Let A = {1,2,3,4} and B = {2,3,5,8,10}; then A union B = {1,2,3,4,5,8,10}

And the way I interpret the union of two sets is this:

Given two sets A and B, let the union of A and B be C. Then C contains the following:

Elements common to both A and B. Elements in A and not in B. And elements in B but not in A.

But I don't get the definition as given by Schaums.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what the difference is between your definition and Schaums. You're both saying the same thing.

I don't know. Perhaps I am misinterpreting Schuam's definition. I don't see the equivalence between Schaum's definition and mine.

I interpret Schuams definition as follows:

The set of all elements which belong to A alone. ==
The set consisting of just the elements of A.

Meaning if the set consists of just the elements of A then B is an empty set.

A union B = A

The set of all elements which belong to B alone ==
The set consisting of just the elements of B.

Similarly if the set consists of just the elements of B then A must be an empty set.

B union A = B

The set of all elements which belong to both A and B ==
The set consisting of the elements in both A and in B.

This last part I can see.

u(AUB) = u(A) + u(B) - u(ANB) [The 'N' is intersect of A and B, in real life it looks like an upside-down U.]

The two different cases are whether A and B are discrete sets or not. If A and B do not have anything in commmon, there is no intersection, hence u(ANB) = {} = 0, the empty set.

Could you elaborate on your notation? I don't think I have seen the notation

u(AUB)

before.

Just what does the u(...) stand for?

I understand that if A and B have nothing in common that their intersection is the empty set.

I don't see the connection though.

Originally posted by wubie
Could you elaborate on your notation? I don't think I have seen the notation

u(AUB)

before.

Just what does the u(...) stand for?

u(AUB) represents the no. of elements in the set

Right! Thanks.

Now warr's post makes sense.

Originally posted by wubie
Right! Thanks.

Now warr's post makes sense.

It made sense before two, i was just giving him hints and i feel he has overlooked them

Perhaps this can be of some assistance:
[tex]A \cup B = \lbrace e \mid e \in A \lor e \in B \rbrace[/tex]

The size of the union would be
[tex]|A \cup B| = |A| + |B| - |A \cap B|[/tex]

Whch means "all the elements in [tex]A[/tex] + all the elements in [tex]B[/tex] - the elements in both [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex]".

Nille

You can easily see from attachment that Union means The no. of ekements in both sets without repeating the same no in both sets

u can easily see Union will be RED+BLUE-GREY this is because as i say not to repeat the common elements we subtract the Grey portion once
coz when we add RED+BLUE they common elements are added up twice so we have to delete one

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 397
sumset

a more general union is this. let T be a collection of sets, usually at least two sets. for example, T={A,B}.

[tex]\bigcup T[/tex] is the set of elements in at least one member of T.

[tex]\bigcup \left\{ A,B\right\} =A\cup B[/tex] is the set of elements in at least one of A and B. ie, if x is in A or B (or both), then x is in the union.

if T had three sets in it, the same definition would apply: x is in the union of three sets if it is in at least one of the sets in T.

Thanks again everyone.

These many different perspectives has given me a better understanding of the def. of union of sets.

What is the definition of the union of sets?

The union of sets refers to the combination of all the elements from two or more sets. It is denoted by the symbol ∪ and is represented as A ∪ B. This means that the union of set A and set B contains all the elements from both sets without any duplication.

How is the union of sets different from the intersection of sets?

The union of sets is the combination of all the elements from two or more sets, while the intersection of sets is the common elements between two or more sets. In other words, the union of sets includes all the elements from each set, but the intersection only includes the elements that are present in all sets.

What is the cardinality of the union of sets?

The cardinality of the union of sets is the total number of elements in the combined set. This can be calculated by adding the cardinality of each individual set and subtracting the cardinality of the intersection of sets, as the common elements are counted twice in the union.

Can the union of sets be an empty set?

Yes, the union of sets can result in an empty set if there are no common elements between the sets being combined. For example, if set A = {1, 2, 3} and set B = {4, 5, 6}, then their union is an empty set as there are no common elements between them.

How is the union of sets used in real life?

The union of sets is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as statistics, computer science, and data analysis. It is used to represent relationships between different data sets and is also used in the study of probability and logic.