Commonly performed surgeries in America

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
In summary, some commonly performed surgeries in America include cataract surgery, vasectomy, back surgery, hysterectomies, hip replacement, plastic surgery for breast enhancement and facial reconstruction. Vasectomy is the most common form of birth control for men and offers benefits such as avoiding hormonal birth control methods and saving money. Plastic surgery, such as breast enhancement and facial reconstruction, is also commonly performed in America. Other surgeries, such as episiotomy and tubal ligation, are also commonly performed but may have more risks and longer recovery time.
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Umm,

I have a question about Breast enlargement surgery... are the surgeons female?

Most plastic surgeons are men but there are more female plastic surgeons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by adrenaline
Most plastic surgeons are men but there are more female plastic surgeons.
..something is not right with that sentence

Originally posted by Monique
..something is not right with that sentence

sorry, post call lackof sleep delerium. There are increasing numbers of plastic surgeons that are women...(historically it was not a popular surgical field for women). Next to neurosurgery, one of the longest surgical residency programs in the medical field. But that is changing of course.

And while we're on that topic, isn't Caesarian surgery one of the most frequent and fast growing?

sorry, post call lackof sleep delerium. There are increasing numbers of plastic surgeons that are women...(historically it was not a popular surgical field for women). Next to neurosurgery, one of the longest surgical residency programs in the medical field. But that is changing of course.

mostly men huh

does the procedure require touching of the woman's tits?

who would want to let their breasts shown to a bunch of guys in the surgery room while she is under anathesia?

Originally posted by Tsunami
I know So. Cal. very well. I did mobile CT all over the place, from OC to the SF Valley, but that was many years ago, so all of my contacts have moved away or just plain fell of the earth. Both Ivan and I were born and raised down thatta way and still have much family there. Shadowing? Probably the best place to START would be a free-standing Imaging Clinic. Choose one that looks like there is a lot of money behind it. That's probably where you'll find the best equipment and most progressive Rads. If they have a contract with a local hospital to read their films, all the better. Then you have a choice of clinic or hospital procedures. (I can't remember if you are IN med. school yet. Isn't there a 'shadowing' program in your med. school curriculum where they set all this up for you?) If you are on friendly terms with any MD's, they can probably help you get your foot in the door. Any of the larger Medical Centers will be the place for the most interesting studies and diverse pathologies. USC, UCLA, Cedars, even (or especially) MLK (for trauma medicine)... If you have a chance to shadow any of those, GRAB IT! Even VA hospitals can be very good. I've scanned them all! Remind me to tell you about the guy at MLK (on PCP) and the I-beam sometime. Not right now! I need to go eat!:smile:

GOOD LUCK! Let me know how it's going!

thanks for the advice. I'm still premed at this point, so this is all pretty much on my own time in order to GET into med school. Once I'm in, I won't have to shadow, because I will do a rads rotation, plus I can do an optional radss rotation 3rd or 4th year. Just thought I'd try and see if this is the specialty for me.

mostly men huh

who would want to let their breasts shown to a bunch of guys in the surgery room while she is under anathesia?

Not to burst your bubble, but most of the doctors out there are bound by a hypocratic oath and many rules and regulations, the least of which are sexual harrassment laws. It is because of this feared attitude that there is a very low percentage of males in OB/GYN. Think of it this way. If you work at burger king all day you see tons of beef and fast food. When you get off work, go home after a long day, and sit down to get something to eat, do you really want to munch on a whopper? I don't think so. Point being, doctors are there to help you, and not to ogle and fondle you. If they do, just like any other workplace, you can go to jail.

Originally posted by Zantra
Not to burst your bubble, but most of the doctors out there are bound by a hypocratic oath and many rules and regulations, the least of which are sexual harrassment laws. It is because of this feared attitude that there is a very low percentage of males in OB/GYN. Think of it this way. If you work at burger king all day you see tons of beef and fast food. When you get off work, go home after a long day, and sit down to get something to eat, do you really want to munch on a whopper? I don't think so. Point being, doctors are there to help you, and not to ogle and fondle you. If they do, just like any other workplace, you can go to jail.

But you still haven't answered my question, do Plastic Surgeons touch patients' breasts?

Or do they enlarge/condense breast by another method?

Zanrtra is right, and the Burger King analogy is spot on. Trust me, when you are sawing away and hacking away at breasts and stuffing silicone or saline implants, it's not appetizing or very sexual unless you are a pervert who likes blood smeared breast tissue with the skin flayed open!

But you still haven't answered my question, do Plastic Surgeons touch patients' breasts?

Or do they enlarge/condense breast by another method?

LOL Ya they do. But if that's your main reason for becoming a plastic surgeon, I'd stay away, or you will end up in jail

If you want to learn more, go here:

www.studentdoctor.net

Last edited:
Zanrtra is right, and the Burger King analogy is spot on. Trust me, when you are sawing away and hacking away at breasts and stuffing silicone or saline implants, it's not appetizing or very sexual unless you are a pervert who likes blood smeared breast tissue with the skin flayed open!

Yes and having witnessed a birth, If I had to do that day in and day out, I think I'd either be celibate or end up gay, because it is NOT the least bit appetizing.

It is because of this feared attitude that there is a very low percentage of males in OB/GYN.
lol, just wait when he finds out what OB/GYN do :P or who delivers babies :O

Originally posted by Monique
lol, just wait when he finds out what OB/GYN do :P or who delivers babies :O

Is that an arduous task?

mostly men huh

Probably the same woman who wants big 'tits' so bad she's willing to ignore all of the risks and undergo anesthesia and be sliced up to get them.
There are numerous men AND women in the room during any surgical prodecure. These days there are laws that require both sexes be in the room during procedures like this. Many surgical suites also videotape the room during their surgeries.

thanks for the advice. I'm still premed at this point, so this is all pretty much on my own time in order to GET into med school. Once I'm in, I won't have to shadow, because I will do a rads rotation, plus I can do an optional radss rotation 3rd or 4th year. Just thought I'd try and see if this is the specialty for me.
You're welcome. It's an excellent specialty in many ways. It's one of the few disciplines that actually allows you a decent nights sleep most of the time, thereby avoiding the well-known "post call lack of sleep delerium" as previously mentioned by our resident MD, adrenaline. You'll become well aquainted with this feeling during your internship and residency. Unless, you specialize in Interventional Radiology, you can pretty much take call from home. You keep your laptop next to your bed, get an occasional phone call, sit up and look at a series of images on your 'puter, call the ED physician with a prelim. report, and turn over and go back to sleep. Now, if you don't EVER want to be woke up in the middle of the night, I believe Dermatology would be the best area. I've never encountered a true 'dermatological emergency'.:wink:
But it's the rapid advancement of the technology that has kept me immersed in the field for so long. I'm a high-tech equipment junkie. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an elevator operator. All those buttons to push! And typewriters! I couldn't WAIT to get my hands on one!

Rads intrigues me for just that reason. The favorable call, which is very conducive to a family life, makes for an attractive specialty. Plus being a techie, it's a natural fit for me. I'm also considering rads onc, because of the opportunity to be involved in cancer treatments. There is the lack of patient interaction to consider. I'm not a Xenophobe, but I hear a lot of people saying that this is a distinct benefit of Rads. Plus the fact that rads are in such high demand atm, doesn't hurt either:wink:

I'm also considering a surgical specialty but it's a long shot given my advanced decrepid age. Also considering Psych, but I'm not too fond of the salaries vs the debt given the short amount of time I'll have to practice, but it's still a consideration. And of course I'll probably change my mind completely by 4th year, so it's all just speculation.

PS: Adreneline, what's your specialty?

Rads intrigues me for just that reason. The favorable call, which is very conducive to a family life, makes for an attractive specialty. Plus being a techie, it's a natural fit for me. I'm also considering rads onc, because of the opportunity to be involved in cancer treatments. There is the lack of patient interaction to consider. I'm not a Xenophobe, but I hear a lot of people saying that this is a distinct benefit of Rads. Plus the fact that rads are in such high demand atm, doesn't hurt either:wink:

I'm also considering a surgical specialty but it's a long shot given my advanced decrepid age. Also considering Psych, but I'm not too fond of the salaries vs the debt given the short amount of time I'll have to practice, but it's still a consideration. And of course I'll probably change my mind completely by 4th year, so it's all just speculation.

PS: Adreneline, what's your specialty?

Internal Medicine, some office practice, but mostly deal with critical care patients in the ICU for family practioners, general surgeons, orthopedists etc. "intensivist" so to speak.

You may want to consider an interventional radiologist...has some kick ass angiographic surgical procedures (floating stents into renal arteries to fix renal artery stenosis etc.), and has some patient interaction but you do have to deal with a call schedule. (However, it is rare to have to come in the middle of the night..but when they do...it's serious business.)

Last edited:
OK, back to the topic,

Any surgeons here?

OK, back to the topic,

Any surgeons here?
Not that I'm aware of. Why do you ask?

Just looking for someone to share some insights with me, so I can decide which carrerr I really want.

OK, back to the topic,

Any surgeons here?

I would again refer you to www.studentdoctor.net as there are tons of surgeons as well as other doctors who visit there and could answer any questions you might have.

If you're considering surgery, you may want to give it some thought. Medicine in general is very demanding both mentally and physically, and surgery is the worst of them. It has the longest residency (at 7 years) that's in addition to your 4 years of med school and 4 years of college. So you'll be at least 33 or 34 years old before you're a full fledged surgeon. And the hours are brutal. I swear, I didn't even think there were that many hours in a week. They been changing it due the recently passed laws, but surgeons average at least 100 -120 hours per week over a 1 month period- which means you may work 120 hour one week, and only 60 the next. The rules have limited it to 80 hours averaged over a month, but that's only for med students. It goes right back to helllish after you graduate. And I won't even mention the call. In short, as any surg specialty will tell you, forget about a family. The divorce rate for surgeons is phenomenal, and that's for those who bother to attempt it. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. However, if it's your passion, you should pursue it. Just know what you're getting youreslf into.

The two possible exceptions to the rule are Plastic and ortho-still demanding, but not as bad as the other surg specialties

Last edited: