Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

New web host - faster, slower or no difference?

New web host - faster, slower or no difference?

• Faster

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Slower

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No noticeable difference

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

This past week we have switched web hosts for a trial period of one month to see if the difference in performance is noticeable or not. On our old web host we had quite a few problems with general timeouts and database issues. Basically their server, which hosted many websites, would get overloaded and our database would not function properly. The site owners, Chris L T521 and myself, would get daily emails about these errors and I became very concerned about the performance of MHB which is why we have switched to a new host.

We would like to know if you notice any differences at all, good or bad. Please be honest so we can provide the highest quality forum for everyone. For me the site runs much faster and has much less lag overall than before, but I've talked with another member who has had the opposite effect. Please vote in the poll above and/or comment in this thread if you so wish. We greatly appreciate your feedback.

MHB Staff

Last edited:

Casio

Feb 11, 2012
The only comment I can make with regards the forum is that sometimes I log in and when replying to a thread, or creating one when I depress the button to post the board tells me to log in, which is not very good, sometimes loosing the information typed in.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The only comment I can make with regards the forum is that sometimes I log in and when replying to a thread, or creating one when I depress the button to post the board tells me to log in, which is not very good, sometimes loosing the information typed in.
The inactivity logout has been addressed before here and I've changed it to 25 minutes. I know the frustration of typing a long post and having it disappear so my suggestion to avoid this is simply periodically click "Preview" and your 25 minutes will start over again.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Although we don't have a large sample size I think it's large enough to conclude that our new host is not generally worse in terms of speed. On the back end of things we haven't had any database errors yet as we did daily before and their customer service is leaps and bounds beyond the previous host, so we will be staying with the new guys. (Clapping)

We are still on a shared server which just aren't that fast overall compared to a VPS or dedicated server. Once our size warrants the move, we will look to upgrade to a VPS.