New version of the LaTeX primer

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, @jtbell has cleaned out obsolete information, and rearranged it so basic stuff tends to come first, and included the bugs and tips mentioned in this thread.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've cleaned out obsolete information, and rearranged it so basic stuff tends to come first, and included the bugs and tips mentioned in this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Please feel free to post corrections etc. here!

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith, dlgoff, Nugatory and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
I've cleaned out obsolete information, and rearranged it so basic stuff tends to come first, and included the bugs and tips mentioned in this thread. I moved the old version to the bottom of the Tips/How-To list temporarily, in case I've overlooked something from there that I should put in the new version.

New version: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Old version: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp-old/

Please feel free to post corrections etc. here!

Getting a 503: Service Unavailable -error when trying to view either page. Rest of PF seems to work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC @Greg Bernhardt has been updating some of the forum software lately, and this has been producing 503 errors in various places. Let's see what he has to say about it...

And the old version of the LaTeX primer no longer exists. Most everything in it migrated to the new version. I don't remember whether I deleted it or someone else did. I'll remove the link now to prevent further confusion.

For some reason, the following functions are not supported: arcsec arccsc arccot sech csch arcsinh arccosh arctanh arcsech arccsch arccoth
Suggestion to add:

So use \operatorname{ arccsc } to get ## \operatorname{ arccsc } x ##
and do not use {\rm arccsc } x (no spacing:) ##{\rm arccsc } x ##

Last edited:
BvU said:
Suggestion to add:
Done, thanks! :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
The Greek letter ##\xi## is missing.

Not any more! Beats me how I missed it before, because the uppercase ##\Xi## was there.

Likes jim mcnamara
You left out a backslash in the table showing$$
\left < \frac a b \right >$$

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks! Classic copy-and-paste error after getting the code to work in the rendered version. :oops:

It looks a bit odd that we're getting these additions and corrections now, after this thread was bumped recently, and not when it first appeared last May... but they're welcome anyway!

Maybe everybody was already on summer vacation back then. :oldwink:

Related to New version of the LaTeX primer

1. What is the purpose of the new version of the LaTeX primer?

The new version of the LaTeX primer is intended to provide an updated and comprehensive guide to using the LaTeX document preparation system. It includes new features, improved explanations, and updated examples to help users create professional-looking documents.

2. Who should use the new version of the LaTeX primer?

The new version of the LaTeX primer is suitable for anyone who wants to learn how to use LaTeX, whether you are a beginner or an experienced user. It is also helpful for researchers, scientists, and academics who need to create documents with complex mathematical equations and scientific notation.

3. What are some of the new features in the new version of the LaTeX primer?

The new version of the LaTeX primer includes features such as improved support for graphics and images, easier citation management, new document templates, and enhanced customization options. It also covers newer versions of LaTeX and popular packages that were not included in the previous version.

4. Is the new version of the LaTeX primer available for all operating systems?

Yes, the new version of the LaTeX primer is available for all major operating systems, including Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It can be downloaded for free from the official LaTeX website or through package managers such as TeX Live or MiKTeX.

5. Can I still use the old version of the LaTeX primer?

While the old version of the LaTeX primer is still available, it is recommended to use the new version as it includes significant updates and improvements. Additionally, the old version may not be compatible with newer versions of LaTeX and may not have the latest features and packages.