New velocity between two spacecraft moving in opposing directions

In summary, two spacecraft with masses of 60 tonnes and 65 tonnes, moving in opposite directions at velocities of 0.70 m/s and 0.64 m/s, respectively, dock and combine to form a single spacecraft. Using conservation of momentum, the velocity of the joined spacecraft can be found by adding the individual momentums of each ship. The resulting velocity will be in the direction of the heavier ship.
Capncanada

Homework Statement

A 60-tonne (1 t = 1000 kg) spacecraft moving in the + x-direction at 0.70 m/s docks with a 65-tonne craft moving in the -x-direction at 0.64 m/s

Find the velocity of the joined spacecraft

Homework Equations

Conservationg of kinetic energy?

KE_i=KE_f

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if this is silly, but I tried solving for the velocity using kinetic energies of the separate space ships equalling the joined space ships:

1/2mv_1^2+1/2mv_2^2=1/2mv_3^2
1/2(60000kg)(0.70m/s)^2+1/2(65000kg)(0.64m/s)^2=(125000)v_3^2
14700+13312=62500v_3^2
v_3^2=0.4482
v_3=0.6695m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Which direction do you think that velocity would be?

no, they "lock them together" before they can bounce apart.
what's conserved here is total momentum (vector).

Okay, so I can use P=mv for each respective part?

The velocity would be in the direction the heavier ship is going

the heavier ship isn't going as fast ... just add them up, being careful with +/- signs.

Okay so the lighter ship is going faster but the larger ship is going slower, I don't understand what equation I am supposed to use to find the velocity of the combined*

you compute each one's momentum, then you add them.

Total momentum is the same after connecting as it was before connecting.

So I'll be subtracting the second ships momentum* since it's moving in the opposite direction, correct?

Related to New velocity between two spacecraft moving in opposing directions

What is the concept of "New velocity between two spacecraft moving in opposing directions"?

The concept of "New velocity between two spacecraft moving in opposing directions" refers to the combined velocity of two spacecraft moving in opposite directions relative to each other. It takes into account the speed and direction of both spacecraft to determine their overall velocity.

How is the new velocity calculated?

The new velocity between two spacecraft moving in opposing directions is calculated using vector addition. This involves adding the individual velocities of the spacecraft in the x, y, and z directions to determine the resultant velocity.

Can the new velocity ever be zero?

Yes, the new velocity between two spacecraft moving in opposing directions can be zero if the individual velocities of the spacecraft are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This means that the spacecraft are moving at the same speed but in opposite directions, resulting in a net velocity of zero.

What factors can affect the new velocity between two spacecraft?

The new velocity between two spacecraft can be affected by several factors, including the individual velocities and directions of the spacecraft, the distance between them, and any external forces acting on them such as gravity or propulsion systems.

Why is the concept of new velocity important in space exploration?

The concept of new velocity is important in space exploration as it allows scientists and engineers to accurately calculate and predict the movement of spacecraft in relation to each other. This is crucial for conducting safe and precise maneuvers, as well as coordinating and planning missions involving multiple spacecraft.