New two-particle correlations observed in the CMS detector at the LHC

In summary, the conversation discusses a new observation made at the LHC, where a novel feature has been seen in high multiplicity p p events. This feature is not yet understood and requires further study. The conversation also mentions the possible involvement of quantum interference and the need for at least 3 jets in order to observe correlations. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for more research and understanding in this area.
Physics news on Phys.org
However, the physical origin of our observation is not yet understood. Additional characteristics of the high multiplicity p p events displaying this novel feature deserve further detailed study.

Is it too early to rule out some models?
jal

The point of that remark, as I read it, was to keep everyone from assuming that this is just the same "near-side ridge" that was seen at RHIC a few years ago. Because that's what it looks like to me.

While the structure appears for intermediate trasversal momentum of about 3 GeV, it is also told that "At Level 1 (L1), the total transverse energy summed over the entire set of CMS calorimeters ... was required to be greater tan 60 GeV"

Does it mean that there are two relevant scales in the game?

I think it just means you have a lot of tracks, each with relatively little p_T.

daschaich said:
I think it just means you have a lot of tracks, each with relatively little p_T.

That was my first idea too, but then they should get the same result by just adding a lot of tracks from different colisions. So either they need a lot of *simultaneus* tracks to get some quantum interference in action, or they need really an object above 60 GeV.

arivero said:
they should get the same result by just adding a lot of tracks from different colisions
Why do you say that ? Adding particle tracks from different events will just reproduce random backgrounds (like accidentals), not signals.
arivero said:
So either they need a lot of *simultaneus* tracks to get some quantum interference in action, or they need really an object above 60 GeV.
Those correlations are seen in very high multiplicity events (~100 tracks) indeed.

arivero said:
That was my first idea too, but then they should get the same result by just adding a lot of tracks from different colisions.

Why do you say that? I see no reason that correlations within a single collision imply any correlation at all between separate collisions.

arivero said:
they need a lot of *simultaneus* tracks

These tracks are all in single events... I don't know how much more simultaneous you can get.

Edit to add: Scooped!

Last edited:
Hmm, are you lads following the conversation from #5, or just answering the last post without correlatiing (pun intended) it with the previous ones? If the former, then it is my English... I was telling that it is not "just a lot of tracks", it is "a lot of tracks coming from a single event", which is a different beast in quantum mechanics. I think that the observation is so elementary that you both have thought that I was arguing something, when I was simply being pedantic about the use of "just a".

A poster at Dorigo's has given a pausible explanation: they need at least 3 jets to get correlations via mechanisms based in colour, and then the selection of having a lot of tracks enhances the selection of 3-jets.

arivero said:
Hmm, are you lads following the conversation from #5
No, and please note that there was not much discussion before #5
arivero said:
A poster at Dorigo's has given a pausible explanation: they need at least 3 jets to get correlations via mechanisms based in colour, and then the selection of having a lot of tracks enhances the selection of 3-jets.
Please note that a two jet event must be back to back, so can not be in the region [itex]\Delta\phi\sim0[/itex] with large [itex]\Delta\eta[/itex] whether the color argument is relevant or not.

Related to New two-particle correlations observed in the CMS detector at the LHC

1. What are the "new two-particle correlations" observed in the CMS detector?

The new two-particle correlations refer to the patterns of particle interactions that have been observed in the CMS detector at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). These correlations involve the simultaneous detection of two particles and can provide insights into the behavior and properties of particles at high energies.

2. Why are these new two-particle correlations important for scientific research?

Studying these new correlations can help us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them. They can also provide evidence for new particles or interactions that have not yet been discovered.

3. How were these new two-particle correlations detected in the CMS detector?

The CMS detector is a large, complex instrument designed to detect and measure particles produced in high-energy collisions. It uses advanced technologies such as tracking detectors, calorimeters, and muon detectors to identify and measure the properties of particles. By analyzing the data collected by the CMS detector, scientists were able to observe the new two-particle correlations.

4. What can these new two-particle correlations tell us about the universe?

These correlations can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles at high energies, which can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. They can also provide evidence for new theories and models that can help us further our understanding of the universe.

5. How do these new two-particle correlations relate to other scientific discoveries?

The discovery of these new correlations is a significant contribution to the field of particle physics and is part of ongoing research efforts to understand the fundamental nature of the universe. It may also have implications for other areas of science, such as cosmology and astrophysics, as we continue to unravel the mysteries of the universe.