New to the physics thing and toldly lost help please

In summary, the speed doubling while the frequency stays the same results in the wavelength also doubling. This is represented by the equation v = f*λ, where v is velocity, f is frequency, and λ is wavelength. When one variable is held constant, any change in the other two will be proportional. In this case, the speed and wavelength are directly proportional, while the frequency remains constant.
boomerwilliam

Homework Statement

the speed is doubled and the freq stays the same what happens to the wave length?

this is my frist day in this class and i have no idlea where to go with this if someone could help me though this and tell me how to fig stuff like this out it would be great

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The characteristics of the waves are
frequency, wavelength, velocity,amplitude and phase.
Can you find a relation between these quantities?

um no i know i sound really dumb right now and i am in this stuff but if your asking for a graph there isn't one the qestion only has the speed doubles the freq stays the same and what happens to the length i don't know where to start to figure this out i am sorry i am not askin you to do it for me i am just askin for help on how to do it so i can figure this stuff out

The relation between frequency, wavelength and velocity is
v = f*λ.
Ιn this equation, if frequency remains constant, how does the wavelength varies with velocity?

i think that it would get longer i am so lost thanks for trying to help me i think i am just going to go talk to the teacher tomorrow

boomerwilliam said:
i think that it would get longer i am so lost thanks for trying to help me i think i am just going to go talk to the teacher tomorrow
Yes. It doubles.

so if the speed or velocity doubles and the wavelength stays constant then the frequency would be halfed?

boomerwilliam said:
so if the speed or velocity doubles and the wavelength stays constant then the frequency would be halfed?

No, the frequency would not be halved. It would be doubled. Start from this equation:

v = fλ​

and ask yourself, if I am going to double the velocity (on the left hand side), how would I change the frequency (on the right hand side), given that the wavelength (lambda) must remain constant?

Related to New to the physics thing and toldly lost help please

1. What is physics and why is it important?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and how they interact with each other. It helps us understand the natural world and how things work, from the smallest subatomic particles to the vastness of the universe. It is important because it forms the basis for many other scientific fields and has practical applications in technology and everyday life.

2. How do I get started with learning physics?

The best way to get started with learning physics is to start with the basics. This includes understanding fundamental concepts such as forces, motion, energy, and equations like Newton's Laws and the laws of thermodynamics. It is also important to have a strong foundation in math, as it is an essential tool in understanding and solving physics problems.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only for geniuses or those with a strong aptitude for math. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the principles of physics with practice and dedication. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant for theoretical concepts and has no real-world applications. Physics has many practical applications, from designing technology to understanding natural phenomena.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems. Physics is a subject that requires hands-on learning and applying concepts to real-world situations. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, join a study group, or watch online tutorials and lectures. It is also important to stay curious and ask questions when you don't understand something.

5. What career options are available for someone interested in physics?

There are many career options for those interested in physics, including research and development, engineering, teaching, and science communication. Physics is also an important foundation for many other fields such as medicine, astronomy, and environmental science. With a strong understanding of physics, you can pursue a variety of exciting and rewarding careers.