New Take on SETI: Astro-ph/0506110

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seti
In summary, the conversation is about an article on astro-ph that discusses the potential for postbiological evolution and the ability to travel to other civilization histories. One person finds the article interesting and plans to use it in their own work, while another is going to bed but hopes others will also find it useful.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0506110

Edit: This is just in case anyone is interested or wants to take it as a point of departure, for discussion. The article does not reflect my personal viewpoint, though it might reflect yours. Personally I might subscribe to the part about postbiological evolution (where animals evolve to live in cold dry vacuum instead of warm moist pressurized environments like now and start being made of other materials than meat). But that is not what the article is about.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
marcus said:

Very interesting Marcus :cool:

I am in the process of finishing off my 'Magnus-Opus' post/short story!..called: You cannot travel to your own past history, but you can travel to other civilization histories.

I intend to make use of the content of linked paper you have provided, many thanks, amazing.

Spin_Network said:

I intend to make use of the content of linked paper you have provided, .

delighted you found it useful, Spin_Network!
my bedtime. maybe others will too

Related to New Take on SETI: Astro-ph/0506110

1. What is the "New Take on SETI: Astro-ph/0506110" study about?

The "New Take on SETI: Astro-ph/0506110" study explores the possibility of using optical signals as a means of communication with extraterrestrial civilizations. This study suggests that we should broaden our search for alien intelligence beyond radio waves and consider the potential use of lasers as a form of interstellar communication.

2. How is this study different from traditional SETI research?

Traditional SETI research has focused mainly on searching for radio signals from other civilizations. The "New Take on SETI: Astro-ph/0506110" study proposes a shift in perspective by considering the use of lasers as a more efficient and effective means of communication over long distances.

3. What evidence supports the use of optical signals in interstellar communication?

The "New Take on SETI: Astro-ph/0506110" study presents evidence that optical signals have several advantages over radio signals in terms of energy efficiency, signal clarity, and potential for long-distance communication. It also discusses recent advancements in laser technology that make this type of communication more feasible.

4. What implications does this study have for the search for extraterrestrial intelligence?

If the use of optical signals as a means of communication with alien civilizations is proven to be viable, it could greatly expand our ability to detect and communicate with potential extraterrestrial intelligence. This could open up new avenues for scientific exploration and potentially lead to a deeper understanding of our place in the universe.

5. What are the potential challenges and limitations of using optical signals in interstellar communication?

One of the main challenges is the need for highly advanced and precise technology to transmit and receive optical signals over long distances. Additionally, there may be obstacles in terms of aligning the signals between two distant points in space. Furthermore, there is the possibility that other civilizations may not be using optical signals for communication, limiting our ability to detect them through this method.