Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

New functionality - nested comments!

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

We all know how forums work. The order is based on when the post was made. It doesn't change based on upvoted/downvotes. This has a lot of benefits and is still the core of how MHB works, but we are able to bring in a piece of how newer sites work without losing this core. Nothing related to upvoting, it's the ability to make a comment on a specific post. Very often it happens that a thread begins and someone makes an interesting post where you have a new thought or maybe a question to ask, but it's not 100% connected to the original post. Some places get very mad at you for doing this and yell things like "don't derail the thread!". :)

The truth is not every idea needs its own thread. So with comments you can now make a short reply to a specific post up to a maximum number, and if it looks like this has momentum for a separate thread you can make one. If not, you can make 1 comment and keep going. It's a great balance in my mind and adds something that's been lacking in forums. I'm hoping it goes well. As of now you should all be able to use it so have fun. Let's see what happens if I just ask everyone to be reasonable and don't make rules. I think we can handle it.

Enjoy and don't be afraid of sharing those random thoughts you have out of fear!

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I will admit Jameson, when you first introduced the idea of this, in my mind resounded an initial echoing "meh!" But, when you put the idea into motion for testing, I immediately liked it, and felt like it adds a really neat dimension to posting. Thank you for making this happen. :)

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
The

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
For those who hate this, don’t worry. We’ll work towards a way to toggle this off or just collapse the comments by default. Should not make the thread feel different otherwise it needs to be reeled in.

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
I think this is a very good feature. Maybe you can make it such that users themselves can set a preferred "expansion level" when viewing a topic:

0: show only posts, but do not show comments.
1: show comments on posts, but not comments on comments.
2: show comments on posts, comments on comments, but not comments on comments on comments.

etc. I do this a lot when I browse tables of contents in PDFs: For a first look, I am interested in the chapters and sections, but not necessarily the subsections or anything beyond that.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
For those who hate this, don’t worry. We’ll work towards a way to toggle this off or just collapse the comments by default. Should not make the thread feel different otherwise it needs to be reeled in.
How do you make it doe that?

-Dan

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
The truth is not every idea needs its own thread. So with comments you can now make a short reply to a specific post up to a maximum number, and if it looks like this has momentum for a separate thread you can make one.
Probably an unimportant question, but does a comment to a post increase the post count?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
Good.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Disabling this for a few days to fix a bug where we aren't getting any alert when someone likes our comment. This is a key part of this working since comments are not at the bottom of a thread and can get lost. Shouldn't be a huge project but need to take some time to get this one detail sorted.