Trig Substitution: Learn How to Integrate Easily

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to use integration by part for an indefinite integral, and is confused because the trigonometric substitution doesn't seem to work the way it's supposed to.
gigi9
Can someone please show me the concept of trig substituion and easy way to use it...I don't quite understand this...
I'm ot sure how to dothis problem below..
1) indefinite integral dx/(x^3sqrt(x^2-a^2))
2) indefinite integral (1-4x^2)^(3/2)dx

How to use integration by part for
indefinite integral of x*inverse tan(x) dx.

Physics news on Phys.org
#1: It is the ∫ Sec-1x * x-2 dx.

Use parts formula: let u = Sec-1, du = x'/|x|sqrt(x^2 - a^2) where a = 1. dv = x-2 dx, v = -x^-1.

The answer? I'm not sure, but out of scratch i got -sec^-1x/x + 2sqrt(x^6 - x^4)/6x^5 - 4x^3 + C = -Cosx/x - sinx * x^3/3

Last edited:
The point of "trigonometric substitution" is to use trig identities such as
sin2(θ)= 1- cos2(θ) so that
sin(θ)= √(1- cos2(θ))

sec2(θ)= 1+ tan2(θ) so that
sec(θ)= √(1+ tan2(θ))

tan2(θ)= sec2(θ)- 1 so that
tan(θ)= √(sec2(θ)- 1)

When you see something like ∫dx/(x3√(x2-a2)) you should immediately think "Hmmm, that √(x2- a2) reminds me of √(sec2(θ)- 1)- especially if I factor out a2 to get
a√((x/a)2-1). I'll bet making a substitution like
x/a= sec(θ) (0r x= a sec(θ)) will work!

Doing that, √(x2- a2) becomes √(a2sec2(θ)- a2)= a√(sec2-1)= a√(tan2)= a tan(θ)!

Also, x3 become a3sec3(θ) and dx= a d(sec(θ))= a sec(θ)tan(θ) dθ

The entire integral becomes ∫(a sec(θ)tan(θ)dθ/(a3sec3(θ)(a tan(θ)))
= (1/a3)∫(1/sec2(θ)
= (1/a3)∫cos2(θ)dθ
which can be done by using the trig identity:
cos2(θ)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2θ)).

i was thinking about that and actually shouldn't it be |atanθ|, not atanθ? the a vs |a| part doesn't matter because with the x3, you'd have a3|a|=a4 anyway but there'd still be a |tanθ|. perhaps when the integration is done and you go back to x, it won't matter if it was tanθ or |tanθ|...

What is trig substitution and why is it useful?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It is useful because it allows us to convert complex integrals into simpler forms that are easier to evaluate.

When should I use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral contains terms that can be rewritten in terms of trigonometric functions, such as square roots, a^2 - x^2, or x^2 + a^2. It is also useful when dealing with integrals involving inverse trigonometric functions.

What are the steps for performing trig substitution?

The steps for performing trig substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the appropriate trigonometric substitution based on the terms in the integral.
  2. Make the substitution by expressing the variable of integration in terms of the trigonometric function.
  3. Simplify the integral using trigonometric identities and algebra.
  4. Integrate the new expression and substitute back in the original variable.
  5. Simplify the final result, if possible.

What are the common trig substitutions used in integration?

The most common trig substitutions used in integration are:

• Sin(x) = a tan(u)
  • Cos(x) = a sec(u)
  • Tan(x) = a sin(u)
  • Cot(x) = a cos(u)
  • Sec(x) = a tan(u)
  • Csc(x) = a cot(u)

Can I use trig substitution for all integrals involving trigonometric functions?

No, trig substitution is only applicable to certain types of integrals. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and determine if trig substitution is the best approach to solving it. Sometimes, other techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts may be more efficient in solving the integral.