Get Help on Integral Calculus: Velocity & Distance Equation

In summary, the website has changed a lot, but the underlying principles are still the same. You can solve the equation if you know the starting point and the one additional condition.
franz32
I need guidance (updated)

The website has changed a lot! Very beautiful and attactive! I like it.

Well, I need help. This is on integral calculus :rolleyes: . How do I find an equation involving the velocity "v" and the distance "s" given that the acceleration "a" is 800; and that v = 20 when s = 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity(v) is the integral of the acceleration function. Position(s) is the integral of the velocity function. The variable that you're integrating with respect to is t. I hope this helps you, it's pretty easy from there =P

s(t) = position
s'(t) = v(t) = velocity
s''(t) = v'(t) = a(t) = acceleration

(EDIT: Sorry...See below...I made a mistake).

Last edited:
Yes, you have to say v(t) = 20 and s(t) = 1

After trying this problem for quite some time, I have realized that in its present wording, it is impossible to solve :)

philosophking said:
After trying this problem for quite some time, I have realized that in its present wording, it is impossible to solve :)

Right. There will be two unknowns and only one additional condition.

Since the acceleration is a constant 800, the velocity at any time t is
v(t)= 800t+ v0 where v0 is the (unkown) velocity at time t=0. The position is s(t)= 400t2+ v0t+ s0 where s0 is the (unknown) position at time t= 0.

Knowing that v(t)= 20 and s(t)= 1 for some t allows us to reduce to only one unknown but not get rid of both. If we knew what that "t" was, then we could answer this question.

Wouldn't the sensible thing be to add a disclaimer like, "...assuming the starting point to be zero, we find that..."

Thank you for all of ur helps. =)

Oh... I think there's another way one can solve it:

a = dv/dt = dv/ds X ds/dt = v X dv/ds

1. What is the velocity equation in integral calculus?

The velocity equation in integral calculus is given by v(t) = ∫a(t)dt + v0, where v(t) is the velocity at time t, a(t) is the acceleration at time t, and v0 is the initial velocity.

2. How is the distance equation derived in integral calculus?

The distance equation is derived by taking the integral of the velocity equation. It is given by d(t) = ∫v(t)dt + d0, where d(t) is the distance at time t, v(t) is the velocity at time t, and d0 is the initial distance.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and the slope of the velocity graph?

The slope of the velocity graph at any given point is equal to the acceleration at that point. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, and slope is the rate of change of distance over time.

4. How can integral calculus be used to solve problems involving velocity and distance?

By using the velocity and distance equations in conjunction with other concepts from integral calculus, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and integration by substitution, we can solve problems involving velocity and distance. This allows us to find the velocity and/or distance at a specific time, or to find the time it takes to reach a certain velocity or distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of integral calculus in relation to velocity and distance?

Integral calculus is used in many real-life applications such as engineering, physics, and economics. Some examples include calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, determining the velocity of a falling object, and optimizing the speed of a car to reach a certain distance in the shortest amount of time.