I need a better understanding

• Thread starter killjoy
  • Start date
In summary, the person is struggling with understanding waves in their 9th grade physics class and is asking for help finding resources or explanations from others. Another person suggests a thread with helpful sites and offers to provide a better explanation. The original person thanks them and mentions getting confused with displacement and propagation. They have checked the recommended sites and found them helpful.
killjoy
This is going to sound really dumb, but i was really hoping some of you would know some sites or have some work about waves we are studing it in my 9th grade physics class and i just can't get a grasp on it. Any thing would really be helpful

Thanks the guy who can't spell

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204

thats the thread with a lot of sites. If you want some explanation in general, tell me where you fail in understanding it. What is not clear for you, and so on. I'm sure there are lots of ppl here who are able to give you a better explanation than I can.

Good luck

One thing that comes to mind is not to get confused with displacement and propagation. A wave is a propagation of a displacement. The displacement travels through space, and so it has a speed, and you can determine a distance traveled in a certain amount of time. The displacement of some waves (i.e. water waves and sound waves) is the same kind of distance that was just mentioned concerning the propagation, so it is easy to get them confused when you first see this stuff.

thanks alot

I checked those sites out and found it vary helpful and about the different kids of waves i checked with my teacher and she agreed completely

sorry its so brief but i have major homework

1. What does it mean to have a better understanding?

Having a better understanding means to have a deeper and more comprehensive knowledge or awareness of a particular topic or concept. It involves being able to explain, apply, and analyze the information rather than just memorizing it.

2. How can I improve my understanding of a subject?

There are several strategies that can help improve your understanding of a subject including actively engaging in the material, asking questions, using visual aids, practicing problem-solving, and seeking additional resources or explanations.

3. Why is having a better understanding important in science?

In science, having a better understanding is crucial because it allows for more accurate and informed conclusions to be drawn from experiments and research. It also enables scientists to make connections and develop new theories or hypotheses based on their understanding of existing knowledge.

4. How can I determine if I have a good understanding of a topic?

One way to determine if you have a good understanding of a topic is to try and explain it to someone else. If you can effectively convey the information and answer any questions, it is a good indication that you have a solid understanding. Additionally, being able to apply the knowledge in different contexts and scenarios is another sign of a good understanding.

5. Is it possible to have a complete understanding of a subject?

Science is constantly evolving and new discoveries are being made all the time, so it is difficult to have a complete understanding of any subject. However, with continuous learning and critical thinking, it is possible to have a strong and comprehensive understanding of a topic.