New coordinate system and point location in new system

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the location of a point in a new coordinate system using two line segments that are perpendicular to each other. The segments are given in word cartesian coordinates and the goal is to set a new coordinate system using them. The segments are vertically intersecting and the challenge is to transform them without the angle. The method of vectorial transformation has been attempted but found to be too slow for the software.
AliKaragisi
hi all,
firstly i need to calculate point location in new coordinate system. ı have 2 line segments and a point(x,y,z) in word cartesian coordinates system. For example, my first line segment is (0,0,5) , (50,0,3) locations and second line segment is (0,6,3),(0,-6,7) locations in cartesian coordinates. My purpose is that ı want to set my new coordinate system using line segments. These segments are verticaly intersect.

Attachments

• EN.PNG
    EN.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 111
  • BOY.PNG
    BOY.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 114
  • ISO.PNG
    ISO.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ali, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Not completeley clear what you want to do from your description.
AliKaragisi said:
These segments are verticaly intersect
You mean 'intersect perpendicularly ?' Do they ?

Last edited:
YES, this segments is perpendicular. in fact, i have two perpendicular segments in word cordinate system and this segments rotated with angle. ı need to set coordinate system on this segments. After set new corrdinate system, segments don't have angle. my purpose is calculating point(x,y,z) coordinates in new coordinate sysem. İ tried vektorel transformation but this method is very slow for my software.

I had missed the pictures. Will look at them.

Related to New coordinate system and point location in new system

1. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical framework used to define the position of points in space. It consists of a set of axes, usually labeled x, y, and z, and a reference point called the origin. The coordinates of a point are given as a set of numbers that represent its distance and direction from the origin.

2. Why is a new coordinate system needed?

A new coordinate system may be needed for a variety of reasons, such as simplifying calculations, aligning with a specific reference frame, or better representing a particular area or object. It can also be useful when working with different units of measurement or when dealing with very large or small numbers.

3. How is a new coordinate system created?

A new coordinate system can be created by defining new axes and an origin point. This can be done using mathematical transformations or by physically rotating or shifting the existing coordinate system. The new system must be consistent and follow the same rules as the original system to accurately represent the position of points.

4. What is point location in a new coordinate system?

Point location refers to determining the coordinates of a point in a new coordinate system. This can be done by using mathematical formulas or by visually measuring the distance and direction from the origin to the point. It is important to be consistent and accurate when locating points in a new coordinate system.

5. How does a new coordinate system affect data analysis?

A new coordinate system can greatly impact data analysis, as it can change the way data is represented and interpreted. It is important to understand the relationship between the new and old coordinate systems in order to accurately analyze and compare data. A new coordinate system can also reveal patterns or relationships that may not have been apparent in the original system.