When will we have a Mars Landing?

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of sending a manned spacecraft to Mars and the timeline for this mission. Some participants express a willingness to volunteer for this mission, while others question the feasibility and morality of such a venture. The conversation also touches on the technical and financial challenges of a manned mission to Mars, as well as potential solutions such as establishing a presence on the moon first. Overall, the general consensus is that it will likely take at least 20 years before a successful manned mission to Mars can be achieved.

How long do you think it will be before we land the first manned spacecraft on mars?

• Within 10 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20 years

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 20+ years

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jack
How long do you think it will be before we land the first manned spacecraft on mars?

How close are we to being able to do this at present?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In many many years. If we do not consider the technical problems of sending persons, it is also a money question, since the ship should come back (otherwise volunteers will be difficult to find!). Maybe in 50 years.

That's a tough question to answer.

As Rutwig stated, volunteers would be hard to find (even if the spaceshuttle comes back). It's the first mission and there are a lot of unknowns involved (and as much as I like a good adventure, after watching Mission to Mars, I wouldn't volunteer for it:smile:).

lol, i would have thought volunteers would be a plenty! i sure know i would volunteer, evern if i didnt make it back, id be the first person on mars, and no one in history, and in all the future of the species could take that away from me :)

in fact, i volunteer now, please :D

Greetings !
Originally posted by Bunting
in fact, i volunteer now, please
You and me so far, doesn't seem that hard...:wink:

Seriously though, the idea of a one way
manned mission is completely ridiculous.
What kind of an example would that be in
if men/women were sent on a historic mission of
exploration which ends with certain death ?!

I'd say 20+ years, there is no strong enough
motive, like the cold-war in the past, to
invest in the vast technological development
and material investment required for such
a mission. Aspecialy since when we do go there
ourselves we'll want it to be more than just
a few steps on the surface.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
You and me so far, doesn't seem that hard...:wink:
Sign me up too...

I voted 20+ years. I think it is technologically possible right now, but it would be hugely expensive. Remember Jim Lovell from Apollo 13 "Its not a miracle...we just decided to go." So it is with Mars. But I don't expect we will be making that decision any time soon.

Originally posted by drag
if men/women were sent
women! ? :D:D

i tihnk we do have the technology now too, i mean technically, what do we need more than moon mission? once in space the inertia will keep the **** going to mars! however, once on marks you have gravity to contend with, so unlike the moon you can't just "float off" back to earth! i suppose that would be a problem! maybe youll need a bit more food :D

I don't know about everyone else, but I would volunteer in a heart beat.

Count me in for that mission even if it is one way :smile:. The mission could be closer than 20 years though. It depends on certain developements but the way human technology is progressing it would be technically feasible and within acceptable safety limits. Personally I think we should establish a presence on the moon first. Mainly because it's easier to get to - easy to use a launch platform for more exploration and should give us a lot of experience of living in space. Of course there are certain issues which need to be tackled first e.g. muscle problems, radiation, production of vital supplies etc. However I'm fairly certain that this will happen in the next 10-20 years. Also with the production of the first space elevator (scheduled within 10-30 years) these things will be a bit easier should become a lot easier. Exciting times I think.

I think after the recent space diaster I feel we need to look long and hard at our space program. I feel maybe 25 years before we land succssesfully ( i apoligise for the spelling.)

women! ? :D:D

Of course. Hormones play a role you know :wink:

Actually, suppose the spaceship veered off course and landed on some surpringly hospitable planet. Who else is going to populate the planet?

Greetings !
Originally posted by sir-pinski
Also with the production of the first space
elevator (scheduled within 10-30 years) these
things will be a bit easier should become a
lot easier.
What ?!
Show me a single space-elevator design which
is in any way technologicly and economicly
feasible even within the next half a century !
Originally posted by Sting
Actually, suppose the spaceship veered off course
and landed on some surpringly hospitable planet.
Who else is going to populate the planet?
Who else ?! :wink:
Dr. Smith - who caused it, the robot and maybe
half a dozen monsters...

Live long and prosper.

1. When will we have a Mars Landing?

The current goal for a human mission to Mars is in the 2030s, with NASA's Artemis program aiming for a landing in 2033 and SpaceX planning for a landing as early as 2024.

2. How long will it take to get to Mars?

The travel time to Mars can vary depending on the launch window and the type of spacecraft used. On average, it takes about 7 months to reach Mars with current technology.

3. Will there be a return trip from Mars?

Yes, current plans for a human mission to Mars include a return trip. However, the feasibility and logistics of a return trip are still being studied and developed.

4. What challenges do we face in landing on Mars?

Some of the major challenges of a Mars landing include the distance and travel time, the harsh environment of Mars, and the need for advanced technologies and resources to sustain human life on the planet.

5. How will landing on Mars benefit us?

Landing on Mars will provide valuable scientific data and insights into the history and potential habitability of the planet. It will also open up opportunities for further exploration and potential colonization in the future.