Seeing the Past: Can Light Traveling in Space be Observed?

In summary: Buffet shot a laser into space and could see it- A laser beam travels at the speed of light- When you shoot a strong light into space, it will lose energy and eventually disappear. However, if you point a telescope at the direction the light came from, you may be able to see it still travelling even though it's been weakened by the space journey.
AnthreX
say that..
you shoot a really strong light facing towards space from earth,
as the light travels in space it would lose energy and start to disappear. but before it all disappears, what if you use a really strong telescope pointing at the direction that you shot your light into space? would you be able to see that light traveling ? even though its damn fast.

this is just my opinion , i think you can see the past and hear the past in deep deep deep space

Science news on Phys.org
When you look at any of the heavenly bodies you are looking into the past, just as you said. Count the seconds between seeing a lightning bolt and hearing the thunder(5 seconds per mile). I never heard a star. Why?

And when you look at the mirror and you see your own figure, you are seeing the past, how you were aprox. 60 nano-seconds before.

Originally posted by Clausius2
And when you look at the mirror and you see your own figure, you are seeing the past, how you were aprox. 60 nano-seconds before.

Well, not that long. LIght travels at very close to one foot per nanosecond, so if you were, say, two feet from your mirror, the light being reflected would go four feet to get back to you, and you would see yourself as you were 4 nanoseconds ago.

you can't hear suns cos sound are pressure waves and there's no medium in space.

as for looking back in time with a telescope, you don't need to first fire a strong beam of light.

a little bit of humor: i once told my mum of the possibility of placing a mirror 1000 lightyears away from earth, and looking at it, with the mirror aimed at earth. and how we'd see Earth and what was happening on it 2000 years ago. and she says

"wouldnt the people on Earth notice the mirror and telescope watching them?"

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Well, not that long. LIght travels at very close to one foot per nanosecond, so if you were, say, two feet from your mirror, the light being reflected would go four feet to get back to you, and you would see yourself as you were 4 nanoseconds ago.

Hilarious! So, if I could blink really fast(faster than is possible), I could look at myself in the mirror seeing a reflection of myself that has it's eyes closed!

Light does not lose energy when traveling through space.

A perfect laser beam will stay intact forever until it hits something. A real (imperfect) laser will spread out, however, the further it goes. It will not disappear, but its energy will become spread over a larger area.

You *could* use a telescope to see your laser pulse, if some substance in the intervening space was scattering some of the light back to Earth. If the intervening space was truly a vacuum, however, you could not see it.

- Warren

Related to Seeing the Past: Can Light Traveling in Space be Observed?

1. How is it possible to see the past through light traveling in space?

When we look up at the night sky, we are seeing light that has traveled from distant stars and galaxies to reach our eyes. This light has been traveling for thousands, millions, or even billions of years before reaching us. Therefore, when we observe this light, we are essentially looking back in time and seeing how those objects appeared in the past.

2. How fast does light travel in space?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 186,282 miles per second. This speed is the maximum limit at which anything in the universe can travel, according to Einstein's theory of relativity. This means that light can travel great distances in a relatively short amount of time, allowing us to see objects in the distant past.

3. Can we see the beginning of the universe through light traveling in space?

Yes, we can see the beginning of the universe through light traveling in space. The cosmic microwave background (CMB) is the oldest light in the universe, dating back to just 380,000 years after the Big Bang. This light has traveled for over 13 billion years to reach us, making it one of the most important pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

4. Is it possible to see events happening on other planets through light traveling in space?

Yes, it is possible to see events happening on other planets through light traveling in space. For example, if there was a powerful explosion on a distant planet, the light from that explosion would eventually reach Earth, allowing us to see the event long after it occurred. However, the distance, speed of light, and other factors make it difficult to observe such events in real-time.

5. Can we see the future through light traveling in space?

No, we cannot see the future through light traveling in space. This is because the speed of light is constant, and it takes time for light to travel from one place to another. Therefore, by the time we observe light from a distant object, the event has already occurred in the past. However, we can use our understanding of the laws of physics to make predictions about the future based on what we observe in the present.