Neutrons in a One-Dimensional Box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving one thousand neutrons in a one-dimensional box, with walls at x = 0 and x = a. The state of each particle is given by \psi(x, 0) = Ax(x-a). The conversation then goes on to discuss four parts of the problem: normalizing \psi and finding the value of the constant A, determining the number of particles in the interval (0, a/2) at t = 0, finding the number of particles with energy E_5 at t = 0, and calculating \langle E \rangle at t = 0. The solutions involve using a discrete Fourier series and evaluating integrals to approximate the values for the
Domnu
Problem
One thousand neutrons are in a one-dimensional box, with walls at x = 0, x = a. At t = 0, the state of each particle is

[tex]\psi(x, 0) = Ax(x-a)[/tex]

a) Normalize [tex]\psi[/tex] and find the value of the constant [tex]A[/tex].
b) How many particles are in the interval [tex](0, a/2)[/tex] at [tex]t=0[/tex]?
c)How many particles have energy [tex]E_5[/tex] at [tex]t=0[/tex]?
d)What is [tex]\langle E \rangle[/tex] at [tex]t=0[/tex]?

Solutions
a) This is quite straightforward... just set [tex]\int_0^a \psi^2 dx = 1[/tex] and solve for [tex]A[/tex], which yields [tex]A = \sqrt{30/a^5}[/tex].
b)Just find [tex]\int_{0}^{a/2} \psi(x, 0)[/tex], which is 0.5. Now, 0.5 * 1000 = 500 neutrons.
c) This is the part where I have problems... could someone help out? Exactly what eigenstates am I supposed to break [tex]\psi[/tex] up into? Is it a one-dimensional particle in a box scenario? If so, should I express the function [tex]\psi[/tex] in terms of

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \frac{n \pi x}{a}[/tex]

? I already tried to express [tex]\psi[/tex] in terms of the momentum eigenstates,

[tex]\phi_n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{ikx}[/tex]

This didn't work out too well (without TI-89)... how are we supposed to find the number of particles in [tex]E_5[/tex] exactly? I know that the energy levels of the neutrons are discrete, but how are we supposed to model this without an integral? If it's an infinite summation, could someone tell me how to do this?
d) This part is pretty simple... we have to just do

[tex]\int_{0}^{a} \psi^* \hat{E}\psi dx = \int_{0}^{a} Ax(x-a) \cdot -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} dx = \int_{0}^{a} Ax(x-a) \cdot 2A dx = -\frac{30}{a^5} \cdot \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \cdot -\frac{a^3}{3} = \frac{5\hbar^2}{ma^2}[/tex]

I'm just having a bit of an issue with part c... could someone help out? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go with trying to do a Fourier expansion of the position wave function with sine terms mostly because your box extends from 0 to a, (ie has odd symmetry). (Like you had mention doing before trying to transform the problem into momentum space.)

Although changing to momentum space should also work, although you'll have to think about it a little more carefully.

--------------------
theUndergrad

http://www.theUndergraduateJournal.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... yes I think I got it. It's actually a discrete Fourier series, which turns out to be MUCH easier than the momentum way.

Hmm... does this work for part C:

Let

[tex] \psi = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \phi_n[/tex]

where [tex] \phi_n [/tex] denote the eigenstates of the particle in a box scenario:

[tex]\phi_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \frac{n \pi x}{a}[/tex]

Now,

[tex] |\psi\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n | \phi_n \rangle[/tex]

if we change notation. From here,

[tex] \langle \phi_j|\psi\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \langle \phi_j | \phi_n \rangle[/tex]

[tex] \iff \langle \phi_j|\psi\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \delta (j - n) = b_j \iff b_n = \langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle[/tex]

Now, here's the thing... in our case, we have that the right hand side of this last equation, [tex]b_n = \langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle[/tex], must be expanded discretely, ie

[tex]\langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle = \sum_{x = 1}^\infty \phi_n^* \psi (x)[/tex]

but this turns out to be very discouraging... you can't really evaluate it that well. To approximate it, can I go ahead and evaluate

[tex]\int_{1}^\infty \phi_n^* \psi (x) dx [/tex]

?

Hmm... does this work for part C:

Let

where [tex] \phi_n [/tex] denote the eigenstates of the particle in a box scenario:

[tex]\phi_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \frac{n \pi x}{a}[/tex]

Now,

[tex] |\psi\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n | \phi_n \rangle[/tex]

if we change notation. From here,

[tex] \langle \phi_j|\psi\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \langle \phi_j | \phi_n \rangle[/tex]

[tex] \iff \langle \phi_j|\psi\rangle = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \delta (j - n) = b_j \iff b_n = \langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle[/tex]

Now, here's the thing... in our case, we have that the right hand side of this last equation, [tex]b_n = \langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle[/tex], must be expanded discretely, ie

[tex]\langle \phi_n | \psi \rangle = \sum_{x = 1}^\infty \phi_n (x)^* \psi (x)[/tex]

but this turns out to be very discouraging... you can't really evaluate it that well. To approximate it, can I go ahead and evaluate

[tex]\int_{1}^\infty \phi_n (x)^* \psi (x) dx [/tex]

?

You could try this:

[tex]b_n = \int^{a}_{0} \phi_n (x)^* \psi (x,0) dx [/tex]

solve for [tex]b_n[/tex] , then you can find probability that particle is in E5 .

Last edited:
Oooh, I completely forgot that the wavefunction was 0 everywhere else heheh...

Related to Neutrons in a One-Dimensional Box

1. What is a one-dimensional box?

A one-dimensional box is a theoretical construct used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined to a 1-dimensional space. It is often represented as a line or a tube with walls that confine the particles to move only in one direction.

2. How are neutrons confined to a one-dimensional box?

In the case of neutrons in a one-dimensional box, the walls of the box are represented by a potential energy barrier that the neutrons cannot pass through. This confinement allows us to study the behavior of neutrons in a simplified system.

3. What is the significance of studying neutrons in a one-dimensional box?

Studying neutrons in a one-dimensional box helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave when confined to different dimensions. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science and nuclear physics.

4. How does the energy of neutrons in a one-dimensional box relate to its size?

The energy of neutrons in a one-dimensional box is inversely proportional to the size of the box. This means that as the size of the box decreases, the energy levels of the neutrons increase. This relationship is known as the quantization of energy.

5. Are there any real-life examples of a one-dimensional box for neutrons?

While a one-dimensional box is a theoretical construct, there are real-life examples that exhibit similar behavior, such as quantum dots and nanowires. These structures can confine particles, such as electrons or photons, to a limited one-dimensional space, allowing us to observe their quantum behavior.