Neutron Stars: Quantum or Classical Objects?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding neutron stars as they exhibit both classical and quantum properties. While classical models are used to describe the overall structure and dynamics of the star, quantum phenomena such as superfluidity and quantal phase transitions are also observed. The question of whether neutron stars are considered classical or quantum objects is raised, with the suggestion that they may behave as superconductors on a quantum level. However, there is no clear answer or consensus on the matter.
Raghnar
Dear all,
I'm starting to study neutron star accretion and a lot of physical phoenomena coming from different scales come along and a consistent picture is frankly hard to grasp.

But for now, a real mind boggling question can't exit my mind.

Are Neutron stars, as a whole Quantum, or classical objects?

Being made of so many components their coherence should be more or less destroyed, and to testify this is being described by classical hydrodinamical models, at most making use of general relativity, but the trajectories of the accretion material are described by classical forces.

But yet they seems to undergo textbook example of a quantum manybody system, such as superfluidity and related vortexes and quantal phase transitions.

There are some semiclassical pictures but they seems to me a weird way to avoid the question...
Do you have some insight or reference that sort out the question?

Thanks,
A.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Raghnar said:
Dear all,
I'm starting to study neutron star accretion and a lot of physical phoenomena coming from different scales come along and a consistent picture is frankly hard to grasp.

But for now, a real mind boggling question can't exit my mind.

Are Neutron stars, as a whole Quantum, or classical objects?

Being made of so many components their coherence should be more or less destroyed, and to testify this is being described by classical hydrodinamical models, at most making use of general relativity, but the trajectories of the accretion material are described by classical forces.

But yet they seems to undergo textbook example of a quantum manybody system, such as superfluidity and related vortexes and quantal phase transitions.

There are some semiclassical pictures but they seems to me a weird way to avoid the question...
Do you have some insight or reference that sort out the question?

Thanks,
A.

Not really. The classical/quantum dichotomy has no meaning for me. Classical electromagnetic theory is essential, as is quantum superconductor and superfluid theory. There might be some general relativity in there as well. So I don't understand the question.

ImaLooser said:
Not really. The classical/quantum dichotomy has no meaning for me. Classical electromagnetic theory is essential, as is quantum superconductor and superfluid theory. There might be some general relativity in there as well. So I don't understand the question.

In a quantum environment classical e-m is an insufficient description, like e.g. in atomic spectrum you need QED to describe hyperfine splitting.

If an object is a quantum object, it display general coherence of properties and quantum properties. It all behaves following a global wavefunction. And it is very different from a classical object where, even if made by quantum component, is a big entangling of quantum wavefunctions that destroys the completely coherent picture.

In other words in a quantum picture neutron stars are superconducturs as a whole, or regions of it spanning the whole star in a quantized-symmetric fashion. in a classical picture neutron stars have superconductive regions in a stocastical fashion.

Related to Neutron Stars: Quantum or Classical Objects?

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of compact astronomical object that forms when a massive star undergoes a supernova explosion and its core collapses under its own gravity. It is composed almost entirely of neutrons and is incredibly dense, with a mass greater than the sun packed into a sphere only about 12 miles in diameter.

2. Are neutron stars quantum or classical objects?

This is still a topic of debate among scientists. While neutron stars are typically described using classical physics, they also exhibit some quantum properties, such as superfluidity and superconductivity. Some researchers argue that neutron stars can be considered a hybrid of both quantum and classical objects.

3. How do scientists study neutron stars?

Scientists study neutron stars through various means, including observations with telescopes and satellites, as well as simulations using computer models. They also use data from gravitational wave detectors to study the mergers of neutron stars, which can provide valuable information about their composition and behavior.

4. Can we ever visit a neutron star?

No, it is highly unlikely that humans will ever be able to physically visit a neutron star. The extreme gravity and radiation levels would make it impossible for any spacecraft to survive. However, scientists continue to study them remotely and learn more about their properties and behavior.

5. What are some potential applications of studying neutron stars?

Studying neutron stars can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity and nuclear forces. They can also help us understand the evolution of stars and the universe as a whole. Additionally, the extreme conditions found in neutron stars can be used to test theories and models in physics and astrophysics.