Neutron Stars and Special Relativity

In summary, the Sudanese man was being forced to marry a goat because the goat had more stress-energy than he did.
Hao
Neutron Stars and Special Relativity and General Relativity

Here is a question which I can't quite wrap my head around:

Suppose we have a Neutron Star that is borderline on the Chandrasekhar limit in its rest frame.

In another frame, the Neutron star is moving.

As a result, its density increases due to
1) Relativistic mass increase.
2) Length contraction.

So why does the Neutron star not form a black hole?

Technically, this question would apply for any object in any frame of reference that is moving sufficiently quickly.

So what am I missing here?

I suppose a general relativistic explanation is that Stress-Energy is a tensor, so matter what coordinate system you use, the criteria for black hole formation will not be met.

So,
1) Is this question well posed?
2) Where does special relativity break down?
3) Did I answer my own question?
4) What is the General Relativistic explanation?

I would like to hear your input.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hao said:
I suppose a general relativistic explanation is that Stress-Energy is a tensor, so matter what coordinate system you use, the criteria for black hole formation will not be met.

3) Did I answer my own question?

Yes and yes

For simplicity, consider a spherically symmetric, non-rotating neutron star its rest frame. In this coordinate system, it has a has non-zero stress-energy tensor that satisfies Einstein's equation. Boosting this stress-energy tensor produces a non-zero stress-energy tensor that is also a solution of Einstein's equation, but this boosted solution is not a black hole solution.

Now consider a spherically symmetric black hole in one of the usual coordinate systems. This is a vacuum solution to Einstein's equation, so the stress-energy tensor is identically zero. This stress-energy tensor, too, can be boosted, but the the boost of something identically zero zero is something identically zero. Boosting the stuff on the right side of Einstein's equation results, however, in a "different" looking solution to Einstein's equation, i.e., there isn't a unique vacuum solution to Einstein's equation. In this black hole situation, one of the solutions (unboosted) has (explicit) spherical symmetry and one doesn't (boosted).

Neither of the black hole solutions look like the boosted neutron star solution.

The same considerations apply to rotating neutron stars and rotating black holes. For a synopsis of boosted black holes, see

http://mwrm.wustl.edu/Presentations/akcay_sarp_win.ppt.

"Boosting this stress-energy tensor produces a non-zero stress-energy tensor that is also a solution of Einstein's equation, but this boosted solution is not a black hole solution..."

I don't disagree, but how do we know this is so??

Why did I also get a BBC story at this website about a Sudanese man being forced to marry a goat??

Related to Neutron Stars and Special Relativity

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of celestial object that is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity during a supernova explosion. It is incredibly dense, with a mass greater than that of the sun packed into a sphere with a diameter of only a few kilometers.

2. How are neutron stars related to special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory that explains how objects with mass behave at speeds approaching the speed of light. Neutron stars are an important example of this as their extreme density causes a strong gravitational pull, which can result in velocities close to the speed of light.

3. What is the theory of general relativity and how does it relate to neutron stars?

General relativity is a theory that describes how gravity affects the fabric of space-time. It explains that massive objects, such as neutron stars, create a curvature in space-time, which influences the motion of other objects around it.

4. How do scientists study neutron stars?

Scientists study neutron stars using a variety of telescopes and instruments, such as X-ray telescopes and radio telescopes. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior and properties of these objects.

5. Can neutron stars be observed directly?

No, neutron stars cannot be observed directly as they are too small and dim to be seen with current technology. However, scientists can indirectly observe them through the effects they have on surrounding matter and through the radiation they emit.