Neutron generation from T(d,n)

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of neutrons produced per second from a neutron generator using the T(d,n) reaction. The formula given is R= (I σ N) /s, where R is the reaction rate, N is the total number of Tritium nucleus, σ is the cross section for the reaction, I is the current of the d beam, and s is the surface of the target. The speaker is getting strange results and is looking for confirmation that the equation is correct. They mention that this is not homework, but for a project, and that they are getting 10^4 less neutrons than the generator's specifications. The expected amount of neutrons is around 10^11, but the
Xaritou
Hi guys. I have a small question and i would appreciate your help.

I want to find how many neutrons per second (in 4π) are produced from a neutron generator. The generator works with T(d,n) reaction.. We have 0.5 mA d at 100keV energy that hits a target of titanium-tritium that has 2*10^20 nucleus of Tritium. The cross section of this reaction is around 5 barn..and the surface of the target is 5cm^2..

Can anyone help me by giving me the formula that i must use to solve the problem?

Thnx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Does one know the expression for the interaction or reaction rate for a monoenergetic beam of particles striking a target of atomic density N?

One is given a microscopic cross-section, σ, of the reaction, and one should be able to determine d flux from the current and beam/target area.

I am looking for the equation if anyone knows it. I found sth Like R= (I σ N) /s, where R= Reaction rate, N=the total number of Tritium nucleus, σ= the cross section for the reaction, I = the current of the d beam, and s= the surface of the target...

Can anyone confirm that this is correct, because i am getting strange results...

Xaritou said:
I am looking for the equation if anyone knows it. I found sth Like R= (I σ N) /s, where R= Reaction rate, N=the total number of Tritium nucleus, σ= the cross section for the reaction, I = the current of the d beam, and s= the surface of the target...

Can anyone confirm that this is correct, because i am getting strange results...
That's correct.

Perhaps one can show what one is doing with the equation.

BTW - this appears to be homework.

No.. Its not homework. Its about a project. I have to calculate theoretically the amount of neutrons the source produce per second, so we can be able to shield it correctly when it arrives. I am just getting 10^4 less neutrons than the generators specifications, and i want to know what i am doing wrong... I get 6.3*10^7 neutrons, when i suppost to get about 10^11.
Generally this kind of generators produce 10^8 neutrons per μΑ

Related to Neutron generation from T(d,n)

1. What is the process of Neutron generation from T(d,n)?

The process of Neutron generation from T(d,n) involves bombarding a tritium (T) target with deuterium (d) ions, resulting in the fusion of the two nuclei and the release of neutrons (n).

2. Why is Neutron generation from T(d,n) important?

Neutron generation from T(d,n) is important because it is a key mechanism for producing high-energy neutrons, which can be used in various applications such as nuclear power, nuclear weapons, and neutron scattering experiments in research laboratories.

3. How is Neutron generation from T(d,n) different from other methods of neutron production?

Neutron generation from T(d,n) is different from other methods of neutron production, such as fission and spallation, because it involves the fusion of two nuclei rather than the splitting of a heavy nucleus or the bombardment of a target with high-energy particles.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Neutron generation from T(d,n)?

The main advantage of Neutron generation from T(d,n) is that it can produce high-energy neutrons without the production of long-lived radioactive waste. However, the process requires a high-energy deuterium beam and a tritium target, which can be expensive and difficult to obtain.

5. How is Neutron generation from T(d,n) being used in current research and applications?

Neutron generation from T(d,n) is currently being used in various research and applications, including nuclear energy production, medical isotope production, and materials science research. It is also being explored as a potential method for producing fusion energy.