Neutron energy after one elastic collision

In summary, the question is asking for the fraction of neutrons that will have an energy less than 0.5 MeV after one scattering collision at 1.0 MeV. The solution process involves using the equation E_{1}=E_{0}*e^{-ζ} to calculate the energies after one collision for the elements hydrogen, deuterium, carbon-12, and uranium-238. However, this approach may not be accurate and it would be better to rely on the neutron cross section σ tables for the elements and specific energies. The approach involves transforming the particles to the center of mass coordinate frame, assuming isotropic elastic collisions, and then transforming back to the lab frame to calculate the neutron energy as a function of
knoximator
ok, this is the question:

neutrons scatter elastically at 1.0MeV. after one scattering collision, determine what fraction of neutrons will have energy of less than 0.5 MeV if they scatter from:

a. hydrogen
b. Deuterium
c. Carbon-12
d. Uranium-238

solution process...

the basic equation to be used: n=[itex]\frac{1}{ζ}[/itex]*ln[itex]\frac{E_{0}}{E_{n}}[/itex]
n= number of collisions
ζ=depends on atomic mass of target≈ [itex]\frac{2}{A+\frac{2}{3}}[/itex] (A= atomic mass)
for A=1, ζ=1!
[itex]E_{0}[/itex]= original energy of neutron before collision
[itex]E_{n}[/itex]= energy of neutron after n collisions

so, inputting n=1, i get the equation [itex]E_{1}[/itex]=[itex]E_{0}[/itex]*[itex]e^{-ζ}[/itex]

and subsequently, i get the following energies:

a. [itex]E_{1}[/itex]=0.367*[itex]E_{0}[/itex]
b. [itex]E_{1}[/itex]=0.472*[itex]E_{0}[/itex]
c. [itex]E_{1}[/itex]=0.0853*[itex]E_{0}[/itex]
d. [itex]E_{1}[/itex]=0.9916*[itex]E_{0}[/itex]

and that is where i get stuck, i have no clue on how to continue and get a fraction out of the information i got.
in the book, there's a probability equation presented, but i can't see any use of it to my question

Edit

ok, so after some deep book delving session, i might have found my problem.
basically, i don't think i need the equation above, but should rely more on the neutron cross section σ tables for the elements mention above and the specific energies.

for example: [itex]\frac{σ_{s}(E)}{σ_{t}(E)}[/itex] is the probability of a neutron to scatter for a certain energy E

my question is, how to use this relation, and which energies to use?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for c is incorrect, the leading 0 shouldn't be there.

General approach to the problem is basically a classical mechanics problem - for one collision. First transform the particles (neutron and stationary target) to the center of mass coordinate frame. Next assume the elastic collision is isotropic. Transform back to the lab frame, getting the velocity vector of the neutron.
Here you can calculate the neutron energy as a function of scattering angle. Find the angle where the energy is 0.5 Mev. and get the probability that the scattering angle will be greater.

Hint: for U-238 and C-12, the probability will be 0. For H1 (from what I remember) it will be ~ .5, while for H2 it will smaller - I don't remember exactly.

Related to Neutron energy after one elastic collision

1. What is the definition of neutron energy?

Neutron energy is a measure of the kinetic energy of a neutron, which is a subatomic particle with no electric charge. It is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilo-electron volts (keV).

2. How is neutron energy affected by an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the neutron exchanges energy with another particle, such as an atom or another neutron, without any loss of energy. This means that the neutron's energy after the collision will be the same as before the collision.

3. What factors can affect the neutron's energy after an elastic collision?

The neutron's energy after an elastic collision can be affected by the mass and energy of the other particle involved in the collision, as well as the angle and speed at which the particles collide.

4. Can neutron energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, neutron energy can be converted into other forms of energy through inelastic collisions, where the neutron loses some of its energy to the other particle. This can result in the production of heat, light, or other forms of energy.

5. How is the energy of neutrons used in scientific research and technology?

Neutrons with specific energies can be used to probe the atomic and molecular structures of materials in scientific research. In technology, neutrons are used in neutron scattering techniques to study the properties of materials and in nuclear power reactors as a source of energy.