Neutron Capture Cross Section Dependence on Target Material Temperature

In summary: No, the doppler effect would not affect the cross sections of interaction of neutrons with the structural materials in a nuclear fusion reactor.
jbirch
So I have been reading about the cross section of neutron capture and have been reading about how the cross section for neutrons in a given material depends on neutron energy, the most important factor obviously. But I have not seen as much information on how, for a neutron of a given thermal or lower energy, the capture cross section changes with the tempetature of the target material.

So let's say we have a set of neutrons of 1 mev, obviously a very low energy and is either thermal or cold depending on your definition. And they are being launched into a slab of Aluminum. So the energy of the neutron is fixed at 1 mev for all neutrons being launched into the Aluminum each time they are launched into the Aluminum but the tempetature of the Aluminum changes. So if the neutrons are always at 1 mev, or another arbitrarily chosen low energy, and the size of the Aluminum slab is kept the same and the temperature of the Aluminum changes, with everything else in the experiment kept the same, then how do we determine how the neutron capture cross section changes in according to temperature of the target Aluminum ? How would the neutron capture cross section change as the Aluminum temperature is changed from 300 K to 250 K to 200 K to 150 K and then down to 20 K ? I know that for some target materials like Uranium there is a significant difference in neutron capture cross section but would changing the temperature fo Aluminum change the cross section at all ?

Any information on the theory behind the effect of the target temperature on the capture cross section or links to data tables, results and papers and publications that show what happens would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

jbirch

Physics news on Phys.org

If you look at graphs of the energy dependence of neutron cross sections you will notice a couple of recurring trends. First, many materials have "1/v" behavior...this means the likelihood of interactions is inversely proportional to the speed (or directly proportional to the time nearby). A second recurring theme you would notice is that many material exhibit an abundance of resonances or large spikes in their various cross section.
Now to your question. The primary effect of increased temperature is to lower the peak and broaden the resonances. It is referred to "Doppler Broadening" and is quite well documented and understood.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reference to "Doppler Broadening" !

Attachments

• Al27-n,gamma.png
    Al27-n,gamma.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 841

So, the effect of doppler broadening is only significant for thermal energy neutrons irradiation?
I was trying to look for some information on the cross section variation for 14 MeV neutrons, but I just couldn't find any.

JohnX said:
So, the effect of doppler broadening is only significant for thermal energy neutrons irradiation?
I was trying to look for some information on the cross section variation for 14 MeV neutrons, but I just couldn't find any.
In a moderated nuclear reactor, e.g., LWR or CANDU, as fuel temperature increases, "the nuclei move at higher speeds, increasing the probability of resonance capture of epithermal neutrons (Doppler effect, Doppler broadening, Resonance broadening)," so it is the resonances in the epithermal region that are important.
Ref: http://www.nuceng.ca/ep6p3/class/Module3C_Temp&VoidJun21.pdf

See (n,γ) of U-235 and U-238:

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/getPlot.jsp?evalid=15321&mf=3&mt=102&nsub=10
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/getPlot.jsp?evalid=15324&mf=3&mt=102&nsub=10

The doppler effect would not apply to fast neutrons in a CANDU or LWR reactor.

Thank you!
Another question I wanted to ask is,
Would the doppler broadening affect the cross sections of interaction of neutrons with the structural materials in a nuclear fusion reactor (D-T) ?

Related to Neutron Capture Cross Section Dependence on Target Material Temperature

1. What is neutron capture cross section?

The neutron capture cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a neutron colliding and being absorbed by a target material. It is usually denoted by the symbol σ and is measured in units of barns (1 barn = 10^-24 cm^2).

2. How does neutron capture cross section depend on target material temperature?

The neutron capture cross section is highly dependent on the temperature of the target material. As the material's temperature increases, the atoms within it vibrate more and have a greater chance of capturing a neutron. This leads to an increase in the neutron capture cross section.

3. Why is the temperature dependence of neutron capture cross section important?

The temperature dependence of neutron capture cross section is important in many applications, such as nuclear reactors and nuclear waste management. It affects the efficiency and safety of these systems, and understanding and controlling it is crucial for their proper functioning.

4. How is the temperature dependence of neutron capture cross section measured?

The temperature dependence of neutron capture cross section is typically measured through experiments using a neutron beam and different target materials at varying temperatures. The resulting data is then analyzed to determine the relationship between neutron capture cross section and temperature for a particular material.

5. Can the temperature dependence of neutron capture cross section be predicted theoretically?

Yes, the temperature dependence of neutron capture cross section can be predicted theoretically using various models and theories. These predictions can then be compared to experimental data to validate the theoretical understanding of this phenomenon.