Neutron and Photon interaction

In summary, the conversation is about how a free neutron interacts with light, specifically a photon. The question arises from the fact that a neutron has no charge, leading to the belief that there would be no interaction with the electric field of the light wave. However, considering the particle nature of light, it is possible for some momentum to be transferred during a collision with a neutron. The speaker is unsure of which viewpoint is correct and is seeking clarification on the matter.
apj_anshul
Talking to the point, I need to know how a free neutron interacts with light (or a photon). Or, if they do not interact, the reason behind it.

The reason why I am asking this question:

Assume that a free neutron is being hit by light. If I assume that light is an EM wave, I can conclude that no interaction if going to occur between light wave and neutron (since neutron has no charge, and it won't interact with light's Electric field).
Now analyze the same situation with particle nature of light. We know that photon has got some momentum, and if it collides with neutron, some momentum is going to get transferred. Hence, this proves that some interaction is going to take place.

I have tried to search around, but couldn't check if photon does actually react with a neutron. Can anyone please tell me which of these two ways for looking at this problem is wrong and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
A neutron has a magnetic moment. It scatters EM radiation just like a classical magnetic moment. Conservation of momentum holds, but does not cause the interaction.
At higher photon energy (wave length of about 1 fm), quantum mechanics must be used, and particles like mesons can be produced.

Related to Neutron and Photon interaction

1. How do neutrons and photons interact?

Neutrons and photons can interact through two main processes: scattering and absorption. In scattering, the neutron or photon changes direction but does not lose energy. In absorption, the neutron or photon is absorbed by a nucleus, resulting in the emission of other particles.

2. What determines the likelihood of neutron and photon interactions?

The likelihood of neutron and photon interactions depends on factors such as the energy and type of the particles, the material they are interacting with, and the angle at which they collide. Higher energies and larger nuclei increase the chances of interaction.

3. Can neutrons and photons interact with each other?

No, neutrons and photons do not directly interact with each other. However, neutrons can produce photons through radioactive decay, and photons can produce neutrons through pair production.

4. What are the effects of neutron and photon interactions?

The effects of neutron and photon interactions can vary depending on the type of interaction. In scattering, the particles may change direction without causing any significant changes. In absorption, the particles may release energy or produce other particles, which can have various effects, such as damaging biological cells or triggering nuclear reactions.

5. How are neutron and photon interactions used in scientific research?

Neutron and photon interactions are essential in various fields of scientific research, such as nuclear physics, materials science, and medical imaging. By studying these interactions, scientists can gain insights into the properties of matter, develop new materials, and improve medical treatments and diagnostics.