Neutrinos penetration of neutron stars or white drawfs

In summary, neutrinos can easily pass through solid objects like the Earth and even a light-year of lead would only stop about half of them. When it comes to something dense like a neutron star, the density of nuclear matter is about 10^15 times greater than ordinary matter, meaning that neutrinos would likely only penetrate about 10 meters into the star. This is supported by the fact that the mean free path of a neutrino in lead is about 22 light-years. There may not be a linear relationship between density and penetration, as there are additional factors such as the allowable final state of the neutrino in interaction with a neutron.
ensabah6
Neutrinos can pass through solid objects like the Earth easily, and a light-year of lead would only stop half of them from passing through.

What about something very dense like a white drawf or neutron star? How readily can neutrinos penetrate that? What % flux reduction would be achievable if neutrinos passed through a neutron star?

Physics news on Phys.org
The density of nuclear matter is greater than the density of ordinary matter by about a factor of 10^15. So I would guess the answer would be that neutrinos would penetrate into a neutron star by roughly (1 light-year)*10^-15=10 m.

bcrowell said:
The density of nuclear matter is greater than the density of ordinary matter by about a factor of 10^15. So I would guess the answer would be that neutrinos would penetrate into a neutron star by roughly (1 light-year)*10^-15=10 m.
Is it the same for neutrinos and anti-neutrinos?

Bob S

bcrowell said:

thanks, according to this link it's 22 light years.

Neutrinos
This was an expected result, since the mean free path of a neutrino in matter is about 22 lightyears in lead and having the Earth in the path makes little ...
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/particles/neutrino.html

I'm not sure there's a linear proportion of density and penetration.

From bcrowell:

From Bob S
Is it the same for neutrinos and anti-neutrinos?

ensabah6 said:
thanks, according to this link it's 22 light years.

Neutrinos
This was an expected result, since the mean free path of a neutrino in matter is about 22 lightyears in lead and having the Earth in the path makes little ...
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/particles/neutrino.html

I'm not sure there's a linear proportion of density and penetration.
I think that a neutrino incident on a neutron has an allowable final state (proton plus electron), while the anti-neutrino incident on a neutron has none. This should be reflected in the total cross section.

Bob S

Last edited:
Bob, Bob, Bob...<sigh>

Again, you are adding complications that are unnecessary and confusing.

The cross-section is what it is. If I have 1015 times as much material, the interaction rate goes up by this factor. This is all wrapped into the definition of a cross-section. Talking about the differences between neutrino-on-nucleon and antineutrino-on-nucelon is just muddying the waters.

Related to Neutrinos penetration of neutron stars or white drawfs

What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and a very small mass. They are one of the fundamental building blocks of matter, along with protons, neutrons, and electrons.

How do neutrinos penetrate neutron stars or white dwarfs?

Neutrinos are able to pass through matter with little to no interaction because they have no electric charge and a very small mass. This allows them to easily travel through dense objects like neutron stars and white dwarfs without being absorbed or scattered.

Why are neutrinos important in understanding neutron stars and white dwarfs?

Neutrinos are important in understanding these objects because they provide a way to observe the internal processes and characteristics of these dense objects. Since neutrinos can easily pass through matter, they can carry information from the core of these objects to the surface, giving scientists valuable insights into their composition and behavior.

How are scientists able to detect neutrinos from neutron stars or white dwarfs?

Scientists use large, specialized detectors to detect neutrinos from neutron stars or white dwarfs. These detectors are typically located deep underground to shield them from other particles and are designed to detect the rare interactions between neutrinos and other matter.

What can the study of neutrinos reveal about neutron stars and white dwarfs?

The study of neutrinos can reveal important information about the density, temperature, and composition of neutron stars and white dwarfs. It can also provide insights into the nuclear reactions and processes happening within these objects, helping scientists better understand their evolution and behavior.