Neutrino Oscillation: Mass Differences

In summary, the probability of a neutrino changing its flavor in neutrino oscillation depends on the difference between the squares of the masses of the neutrino mass eigenstates. This is denoted by Δm^2. However, in some cases, such as in solar neutrinos, the notation Δm^2sol is used instead of Δm^2 to refer to this squared-mass difference. It is also possible to approximate the neutrino state as \nu_e = cos\theta_{12} \nu_1 + sin\theta_{12} \nu_2 when dealing with solar neutrinos, neglecting any oscillation to \nu_\tau. This is due to the low energy of solar neutrinos, which
Doofy
In neutrino oscillation the probability a neutrino changing its flavour depends on the difference between the squares of the masses of the neutrino mass eigenstates. For example, the squared-mass difference between the mass states [itex]\nu_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\nu_{2}[/itex] is denoted [itex] \Delta m^2_{12} [/itex].

However, I keep reading stuff that refers to the neutrino source used in the experiment when it talks about the mass difference, for example, in solar neutrinos it is [itex] \Delta m^2_{sol} [/itex].

Am I right in thinking that whenever I see [itex] \Delta m^2_{sol} [/itex] it will always mean [itex] \Delta m^2_{12} [/itex] etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can't immediately locate a definitive answer, but I think you are right for Δm2sol. But one textbook I have uses the definition

Δm2atm = m32 - 1/2 (m12 + m22)​

AdrianTheRock said:
I can't immediately locate a definitive answer, but I think you are right for Δm2sol. But one textbook I have uses the definition

Δm2atm = m32 - 1/2 (m12 + m22)​

I don't suppose you know why it is that [itex] \Delta m_{sol}^{2} [/itex] refers to [itex] \Delta m_{12}^{2} [/itex] and not some other mass^2 difference ?

What I mean is, the sun's reactions produce [itex] \nu_{e} [/itex] and fewer of them arrive at Earth than expected, implying oscillation is happening. However, they only have a few MeV of energy, so when these solar neutrinos reach a detector, they cannot undergo CC interactions as [itex]\nu_{\mu} [/itex] or [itex]\nu_{\tau} [/itex] since they lack the energy required to produce the relevant charged lepton. That means you don't know whether they are turning mostly to [itex]\nu_{\mu} [/itex] or [itex]\nu_{\tau} [/itex].

Am I right in thinking that, since you can express [itex] \nu_{e} [/itex] as

[itex] \rvert \nu_{e} \rangle = cos\theta_{12}cos\theta_{13} \rvert \nu_{1} \rangle +
sin\theta_{12}cos\theta_{13} \rvert \nu_{2} \rangle +
sin\theta_{13}e^{-i\delta} \rvert \nu_{3} \rangle [/itex]

you can approximate [itex] sin\theta_{13} = 0 [/itex] and [itex] cos\theta_{13} = 1 [/itex] so that you just deal with

[itex] \rvert \nu_{e} \rangle = cos\theta_{12} \rvert \nu_{1} \rangle +
sin\theta_{12} \rvert \nu_{2} \rangle [/itex]

and just neglect any oscillation to [itex]\nu_{\tau} [/itex], ending up with a two-neutrino treatment where the only parameters you have are [itex] \Delta m_{12}^{2}, \theta_{12} [/itex]?

Yes, that's exactly why [itex]\Delta m^2_{sol}[/itex] means [itex]\Delta m^2_{12}[/itex].

With atmospheric neutrinos you are starting with [itex]\nu_\mu[/itex], so even with the approximation [itex]\theta_{12} = 0[/itex] you still have to take account of the [itex]\nu_3[/itex] state.

AdrianTheRock said:
Yes, that's exactly why [itex]\Delta m^2_{sol}[/itex] means [itex]\Delta m^2_{12}[/itex].

With atmospheric neutrinos you are starting with [itex]\nu_\mu[/itex], so even with the approximation [itex]\theta_{12} = 0[/itex] you still have to take account of the [itex]\nu_3[/itex] state.

is it still a valid analysis given that we now know that [itex]theta_{13}[/itex] is non-zero though?

Given the relatively low levels of precision currently available in experimental measurements, I imagine it's still a reasonable approximation.

BTW apologies for the typo in my previous post, I did of course mean [itex]\theta_{13}[/itex], not [itex]\theta_{12}[/itex].

Related to Neutrino Oscillation: Mass Differences

1. What are neutrino oscillations?

Neutrino oscillations refer to the phenomenon in which neutrinos, a type of subatomic particle, change from one type to another as they travel through space.

2. What is the significance of neutrino oscillations?

The discovery of neutrino oscillations has greatly advanced our understanding of particle physics and has led to a better understanding of the fundamental properties of neutrinos.

3. What is the difference in mass between different types of neutrinos?

Neutrinos come in three different types: electron, muon, and tau. The difference in mass between these types is very small, with the electron neutrino being the lightest and the tau neutrino being the heaviest.

4. How do we measure the mass differences between neutrinos?

The mass differences between neutrinos are measured through a variety of experiments, including neutrino oscillation experiments, which observe the changes in neutrino types as they travel through space.

5. What are the implications of the mass differences in neutrino oscillations?

The mass differences in neutrino oscillations provide evidence for the existence of physics beyond the standard model, and could potentially lead to new theories and discoveries in particle physics.