Neutral drain function in washing machines

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Is there a animation showing how the gear case in a Whirlpool/Kenmore direct drive washer implements neutral draining?
It would be interesting to me (but not essential) to see a visual explanation of how the gear case in a Whilepool/Kenmore direct drive washer implements the neutral drain function. The neutral drain function is a period of time when the washer is pumping out water but not spinning or agitating. I've disassembled and reassembled a Kenmore direct drive gear case guided by the detailed video

I can see (first hand) how changing the direction of rotation of the shaft switches from agitation to spinning. But I don't see how it implements neutral draining. Articles on the web say that a pause in the motor rotation activates and deactivates the neutral draining. It's hard to see how a purely mechanical device can react so flexibly to pauses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Centrifugal clutch ??

What is neutral drain function in a washing machine?

The neutral drain function in a washing machine is a feature that allows the machine to drain water from the tub without engaging the spin cycle immediately. This function is primarily found in older models of top-load washing machines with direct drive systems. It is designed to prevent wear and tear on the machine's transmission by draining the water passively before the spin cycle starts.

How does the neutral drain function work?

In washing machines equipped with a neutral drain function, the mechanism works through a specific configuration in the transmission. After the wash cycle finishes, the motor reverses direction, which activates a solenoid that shifts the transmission into neutral. This allows the tub to drain water without spinning. Once the water is drained, the motor pauses, the transmission shifts out of neutral, and the spin cycle begins to remove the remaining moisture from the clothes.

Why is the neutral drain function important?

The neutral drain function is important because it helps in extending the lifespan of the washing machine’s transmission. By allowing the water to drain without the spin cycle initially, it reduces the stress and strain on the transmission gears and components. This can lead to fewer repairs and a longer operational life for the machine. Additionally, it can also prevent clothes from becoming overly tangled, which sometimes happens when the spin cycle starts with a full load of water.

Do all washing machines have a neutral drain function?

No, not all washing machines have a neutral drain function. This feature is typically found in older models of top-load washing machines with direct drive transmissions. Many newer models and front-load washers use different technologies that integrate the spin and drain functions more closely, often eliminating the need for a separate neutral drain function.

How can I tell if my washing machine has a neutral drain function?

To determine if your washing machine has a neutral drain function, you can consult the user manual or manufacturer’s website for your specific model’s features. Additionally, during operation, you can observe if the machine drains water without spinning immediately after the wash cycle. If it does, it likely has a neutral drain function. Alternatively, you can listen for a pause between the end of the wash cycle and the start of the spin cycle, which is another indicator of the neutral drain feature.