Neuroscience Forum: Is It Worth Adding to PhysicsForums?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary, there is already a forum for neuroscience topics, and it's not something that should be done just because there's been a recent uptick in posts.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
looking at the number of neuroscience posts in medical, and having seen some in biology as well, I'm wondering if it's worth having a neuroscience forum yet? Also, noting the general increase in neuroscience interests from ALL science (and some engineering) fields outside of physicsforums and in the world at large.

edit/addendum:

Also, if there's some standard and quantitative reserach needs to be done on the neuroscience content of physicsforums before such a decision can be made, I'd be happy to provide the research if given the specific standards.

I think this is important since physicforums is critical about accuracy and no other forums meet that quality control standards and have the same volume of neuroscience posts.

Physics news on Phys.org
We had the Mind/Brain forum, it was a dud and was deleted.

I see posts on psychiatric problems, dreaming, psychological problems, etc... which is what the Medical forum was created for
Medicine, Anatomy, Psychology, Neuroscience...

So there is already a forum for neuroscience topics.

Last edited:
1) That's confusing (neuroscience is biology: medical is an application of both)
Which is why some people post neuroscience questions in the biology forum, as well.

2) Not all the questions on the first page of Medical, that are about neuroscience, are about medical. I noticed you selectively only picked the medical ones. Intentional or coincidence?

For balance here's some non-medical neuroscience posts on the FIRST page of Medical:

1) range and resolution of synaptic connections
2) Competitive/Adaptive Brain Plasticity… and you…
3) Why do endorphins feel good?
4) is "The brain That Changes Itself" the best book on neuroplasticity?
5) Electric field effects in tne brain
6) Dynamical Neuroscience (this one's mine, so you can remove it from the list if there's any question of bias)

Besides these, there are plenty more on the FIRST page that are ambiguous (could interpret either as applied/medical or theoretical) in addition to the one's you named.

I've made my case. Unless I see a silly argument, I will attest no further.

I didn't name individual threads, I named topics. And neuroscience belongs in Medical Sciences, so it already has a forum. All of the topics together warrant a forum, one topic does not.

I guess I don't see why threads on neuroscience don't belong in that forum.

Last edited:
Neuroscience topics might not only fit under Medical Sciences, but under Biology as well (when you are talking about the molecular/cell biology aspect of it).

How are you sure that the recent number of threads are not a hype that might wane?

Monique said:
Neuroscience topics might not only fit under Medical Sciences, but under Biology as well (when you are talking about the molecular/cell biology aspect of it).

How are you sure that the recent number of threads are not a hype that might wane?

Of course, I don't expect a forum to be smacked in their immediately. I just think it's worth looking at and considering.

There's no guarantee the hype won't wain, but we can't deny that neuroscience (outside of physicsforums) has been picking up a lot of interest.

It has prompted Springer (the journal publisher) to make a forum themselves:
http://theneuronetwork.com/

However, there are no moderators there and anything goes :/

Last edited by a moderator:
We explored this possibility years ago, or at least discussed it, due to the huge number of 'problem of consciousness' threads that kept popping up and getting dumped to philosophy even though they were really personal speculative theories closer to mysticism than either philosophy or science. Of course, something like that wouldn't have belonged in a neuroscience forum, either, but at least the existence of such a forum might have prompted people to be more rigorous about what they discussed instead of taking "philosophy" to mean "anything goes" rather than philosophy.

That is, it's easier to justify dumping clearly speculative nonsense from "Neuroscience" than it is from "Philosophy" because more people recognize that science has to be rigorous.

loseyourname said:
That is, it's easier to justify dumping clearly speculative nonsense from "Neuroscience" than it is from "Philosophy" because more people recognize that science has to be rigorous.

That's my interest, more or less... with the added hope that it would attract more neuroscience experts to contribute to regulating the content.

Pythagorean said:
That's my interest, more or less... with the added hope that it would attract more neuroscience experts to contribute to regulating the content.

We had a burst of interest in neuroscience topics for a while, which was why the Mind and Brain forum was created. I wouldn't say it was a total flop, but the neuroscientists mostly got busy with doing science and wandered off, leaving mostly just the philosophers.

Because of the amount of posts on neuroscience topics, at the time the forum was changed to a more general med science forum, the old topics weren't all moved out to better homes. So, that sometimes leads to some of the confusion with people perusing old topics, seeing a lot of the old mind and brain posts and thinking that's still the right forum for them.

There is some natural overlap between biology and med sciences, but generally, if you want to discuss the more clinically applied topics, med sciences is the right fit. If you're more interested in the basic science mechanisms, the biology forum is better. If you're discussing some translational research topic that bridges both, pick one and if Monique has a strong feeling about which forum it's in, I'm sure she'll move it. All of our forums have gray areas of topics that can fit more than one, and it's usually not a big deal to just choose one. It's not like posting a joke thread in the middle of one of the math forums where it's clearly off-topic.

Ok, so if you're discussion is about theoretical neuroscience, for instance (which is neuroscience and psychology, but not necessarily clinical) then it would generally go in the biology subforum, but since the medical forum is (mis?)labeled neuroscience and psychology, people tend to post those kinds of discussion there instead?

Pythagorean said:
Ok, so if you're discussion is about theoretical neuroscience, for instance (which is neuroscience and psychology, but not necessarily clinical) then it would generally go in the biology subforum, but since the medical forum is (mis?)labeled neuroscience and psychology, people tend to post those kinds of discussion there instead?
It doesn't really matter, the thread would be acceptable in either.

Related to Neuroscience Forum: Is It Worth Adding to PhysicsForums?

1. What is neuroscience and why is it important?

Neuroscience is the study of the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. It is important because it helps us understand how the brain works and how it influences behavior, cognition, and emotions. It also helps us develop treatments for neurological disorders and improve overall brain health.

2. How is neuroscience related to physics?

Neuroscience and physics are closely related because the brain and nervous system are complex biological systems that can be studied using physical principles and techniques. For example, imaging techniques such as MRI and PET use physics to visualize brain activity. Additionally, understanding the physics of neural networks can help us understand how the brain processes information.

3. What are the potential benefits of adding a neuroscience forum to PhysicsForums?

Adding a neuroscience forum to PhysicsForums can provide a platform for scientists and students to discuss and exchange ideas about the intersection of neuroscience and physics. It can also help bridge the gap between these two fields and promote interdisciplinary collaborations. Furthermore, it can provide a resource for individuals interested in both neuroscience and physics to engage with like-minded individuals and learn from experts in the field.

4. Are there any challenges in incorporating a neuroscience forum into PhysicsForums?

One potential challenge is ensuring that the forum is active and has enough participation to sustain meaningful discussions. Another challenge may be moderation, as there may be a need for moderators with expertise in both neuroscience and physics. Additionally, there may be some overlap in topics already covered in other forums, so it will be important to clearly define the scope of the neuroscience forum.

5. What can individuals without a background in neuroscience or physics gain from participating in the forum?

Individuals without a background in neuroscience or physics can gain a better understanding of these fields and how they intersect. They can also learn about new research and developments in both fields and engage in discussions with experts and other individuals interested in these topics. Additionally, participation in the forum can also provide opportunities for individuals to ask questions and expand their knowledge in these areas.