Neumann Boundary Conditions question

In summary, Jackson covers Green's theorem and the use of Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions to simplify the surface integral. For Neumann, the choice of \frac{\delta G}{\delta n} = 0 is not valid because it violates Gauss' theorem. Instead, the correct choice is G(x,x') = \frac{-4\pi}{S}, where S is the total surface area of the surface S. This is because Gauss' law puts a constraint on the allowed boundary conditions. Jackson's treatment is incorrect and the correct approach can be found in Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism". To understand Jackson's reasoning, he refers to applying Gauss' theorem, which involves integrating both sides of ∇2
VortexLattice
So I'm reading through Jackson's Electrodynamics book (page 39, 3rd edition), and they're covering the part about Green's theorem, where you have both [itex]\Phi[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\delta \Phi}{\delta n}[/itex] in the surface integral, so we often use either Dirichlet or Neumann BC's to eliminate one of them.

So for Dirichlet, we simply say G(x,x') = 0 and the integral simplifies a little.

But for Neumann, he says the obvious choice is to use [itex]\frac{\delta G}{\delta n} = 0[/itex] because that eliminates that part of the integral. But then he says, wait, we can't, because applying Gauss' theorem to [itex]\nabla ^2 G(x, x') = -4\pi \delta(x - x')[/itex] shows that [itex]\oint \frac{\delta G}{\delta n'} da' = -4\pi [/itex] (over the surface S), so we have to choose [itex]G(x,x') = \frac{-4\pi}{S}[/itex], where S is the total surface area of the surface S.

Why? I don't really get what he means by 'applying Gauss' theorem'... I know what the theorem is but don't see how to use it or why we can't just choose that dG/dn = 0 here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
VortexLattice said:
So I'm reading through Jackson's Electrodynamics book (page 39, 3rd edition), and they're covering the part about Green's theorem, where you have both [itex]\Phi[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\delta \Phi}{\delta n}[/itex] in the surface integral, so we often use either Dirichlet or Neumann BC's to eliminate one of them.

So for Dirichlet, we simply say G(x,x') = 0 and the integral simplifies a little.

But for Neumann, he says the obvious choice is to use [itex]\frac{\delta G}{\delta n} = 0[/itex] because that eliminates that part of the integral. But then he says, wait, we can't, because applying Gauss' theorem to [itex]\nabla ^2 G(x, x') = -4\pi \delta(x - x')[/itex] shows that [itex]\oint \frac{\delta G}{\delta n'} da' = -4\pi [/itex] (over the surface S), so we have to choose [itex]G(x,x') = \frac{-4\pi}{S}[/itex], where S is the total surface area of the surface S.

Why? I don't really get what he means by 'applying Gauss' theorem'... I know what the theorem is but don't see how to use it or why we can't just choose that dG/dn = 0 here.

I haven't checked it out, but I have a hunch about it, so I'll take a stab at a general consideration: If you have already proven that Gauss' law is necessarily valid for the solution, but then select a boundary condition that breaks that law, it would mean that you end up with a differential equation that has no solution, of a solution that breaks with some of the assumptions you made when you determined that Gauss' law should hold. So you could say that Gauss law enforces a restriction on the allowed boundary conditions. I didn't look it up, though, since I don't have the time right now.

Gauss's law restricts the total surface integral of E.dS to equal 4 pi Q, where Q is the total charge enclosed. This puts a constraint on [tex]\partial_n\phi[/tex].
But Jackson's solution for that is wrong. The correct treatment is given on pp. 66-67 of Franklin "Classical Electromagnetism".

Can you explain what's wrong with Jackson's treatment, and how to correct it?

It is in that textbook, but I will try to summarize it.
The integral of [tex]\partial_n[/tex] is constrained by Gauss to equal [tex]4\pi Q[/tex].
If it does not there is no solution. An example is in heat flow. If the integral does not equal zero, then the temperature must rise and Laplace's equation will not be satisfied.
Jackson's addition will not help this. If any part of the boundary is Dirichlet, that surface will have the right E to give the right total surface integral. If the problem specifies that phi--> 0 at infiniity, then the surface integral of E at infinity will satisfy Gauss.

By "applying Gauss' theorem", Jackson means you start with ∇2G(x,x′)=−4πδ(xx′), integrate both sides over a volume V, and apply the divergence theorem to the left side to get a surface integral. This is the same thing you do in Freshman physics with the electric field, whereas here you have the Green's function.

Related to Neumann Boundary Conditions question

What are Neumann Boundary Conditions?

Neumann Boundary Conditions are a set of conditions used in mathematical modeling to define the behavior of a system at its boundaries. They specify the gradient of a function at the boundary, rather than the function itself.

How are Neumann Boundary Conditions different from Dirichlet Boundary Conditions?

Neumann and Dirichlet Boundary Conditions are both used to define the behavior of a system at its boundaries, but they differ in what they specify. Neumann Boundary Conditions specify the gradient of a function at the boundary, while Dirichlet Boundary Conditions specify the function itself at the boundary.

When are Neumann Boundary Conditions used?

Neumann Boundary Conditions are used when the boundary conditions of a system are known in terms of its gradient, rather than the function itself. This is common in heat transfer problems, where the temperature gradient at the boundary is known, but the temperature itself is not.

What is the mathematical representation of Neumann Boundary Conditions?

The mathematical representation of Neumann Boundary Conditions is typically written as ∂u/∂n = g, where u is the function being modeled, n is the unit normal vector pointing outward from the boundary, and g is the known gradient at the boundary.

Can Neumann Boundary Conditions be applied to any type of system?

Yes, Neumann Boundary Conditions can be applied to a wide range of systems, including differential equations, partial differential equations, and integral equations. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model various physical phenomena.