Neuman stability and chiral question

In summary, exchanging the methyl and proton attached to the same carbon changes the compound from cis to trans. These compounds have different physical properties because they have different chirality centers.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

I have two questions. I have attached two pictures, 1 for each.

1. For the question about stability, the answer is C, but I thought it should be B. I would imagine the strain of two OH groups would be greater than an OH group with a CH3 group. Can someone explain what is wrong in my thinking?

2. For the question about chirality, the answer is C. I don't see how any of them can be chiral, but I guessed D because the N in II is at least sp3 because of a lone pair of electrons. I don't see any sp3 carbons in III except in the CH3 group, but that is not chiral because the three H's are the same.

These questions are from my ACS organic review book.

Thank you for your help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• screen-capture-6.png
    screen-capture-6.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 379
  • screen-capture-5.png
    screen-capture-5.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Puchinita5 said:

Homework Statement

I have two questions. I have attached two pictures, 1 for each.

1. For the question about stability, the answer is C, but I thought it should be B. I would imagine the strain of two OH groups would be greater than an OH group with a CH3 group. Can someone explain what is wrong in my thinking?

2. For the question about chirality, the answer is C. I don't see how any of them can be chiral, but I guessed D because the N in II is at least sp3 because of a lone pair of electrons. I don't see any sp3 carbons in III except in the CH3 group, but that is not chiral because the three H's are the same.

These questions are from my ACS organic review book.

Thank you for your help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For 2, what happens if you exchange the methyl group and the proton attached to the same carbon. Can you superimpose this on your original?

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean ? :-/

OK, how do you know that cis and trans but-2-ene are different compounds?

Because they have different physical properties? lol I feel I am missing something.

Hmmm okay so I see now what you mean by exchanging the methyl and proton. And you wouldn't be able to superimpose these. Is that what makes them optically active? So it doesn't matter that there are no "chirality centers? "

Oops I just realized, i mistyped. The answer to the stability question is D, not C. And I think the answer should be A. Why is the answer not A? (When I originally posted I had said I thought the answer should be B but this was because I ordered my choices backwards. I really meant A) But I still don't understand why for the same reason. But just in case anyone was really confused. :)

Related to Neuman stability and chiral question

1. What is Neuman stability?

Neuman stability refers to the stability of a chemical compound or molecule in its pure enantiomeric form. It is determined by the relative energies of the two enantiomers and their ability to interconvert.

2. What is chiral question?

The chiral question refers to the debate surrounding the origin of homochirality in biological systems. It asks whether the preference for one enantiomer over the other in biological processes is due to chance or if it is a result of a specific mechanism.

3. How is Neuman stability related to chiral question?

Neuman stability plays a crucial role in the chiral question, as it is a key factor in determining the stability and prevalence of one enantiomer over the other in biological systems. The more stable enantiomer is more likely to be present in higher quantities, leading to the observed homochirality in living organisms.

4. What are some proposed explanations for homochirality in biological systems?

Some proposed explanations include the influence of early Earth's environment, such as polarized light or asymmetric mineral surfaces, and the involvement of chiral biomolecules in the synthesis of other chiral biomolecules.

5. How is the study of Neuman stability and the chiral question relevant to other scientific fields?

The study of Neuman stability and the chiral question has implications in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and astrobiology. Understanding the origins of homochirality can provide insights into the evolution of life and the potential for life on other planets.