Network Problem: Acer Aspire 3000, SiS 900-basedPCI Fast Ethernet

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networking
In summary, the Acer Aspire 3000 does not have limited or no connectivity when connected to other desktop computers or cable-dsl modems, but when connecting directly to the laptop the problem occurs. The problem may be with the cable or the modem, but it is only last night that I learned that Windows XP has a problem with dhcp.
exequor
I have an Acer Aspire 3000 and it has a SiS 900-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. My problem is that no matter how I try to connect the laptop to another desktop computer or to a cable-dsl modem it tells me that there is limited or no connectivity. When I try to repair it it says that the IP is not being reassigned. I used the normal cat5 ethernet cable. When I do ipconfig /release on the laptop dhcp is enabled and everything else seems to be normal. All the settings for TCP/IP, etc. is set to automatic.

Does anyone have a clue as to what may be causing this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you aren't connecting to a router (a router's job is to assign/manage ip addresses), you need to assign it an ip address manually. However, I thought cable modems had router functionality (for one pc)...

If you are connecting directly between the pc and the laptop, you need a crossover cable and to assign ip addresses for both.

the thing is when i connect the desktop computer to the cable modem it works (this is the connection that I am using now), but when i connect the laptop to the desktop or the laptop to the desktop i get limited or no connectivity.

i noticed that the adapter at the back of the desktop has only four pins but my laptop has all 8, i don't know if that makes a difference (for e.g. if i need a different kind of cable or something)

If your connecting the laptop directly to the desktop then you need a crossover cable. If you connecting the laptop to the router which is connected to the desktop, then you can use regular ethernet.

Instead of relying on the dhcp server, why don't you give the laptop a static ip. You'll need 3 pieces of information (5 if you want the laptop to have internet access):

I'm assuming your router's gateway address is 192.168.1.1. One way to check this is to go to your browser and type that address. You should get a login window.

IP Address(you want the laptop to have): 192.168.1.[2-255]
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
DNS1: You can get this from your router if your connected to broadband. Ignore if you don't.
DNS2: You can get this from your router if your connected to broadband. Ignore if you don't.

I forgot where you put this in windows, but in linux the dns info goes into /etc/resolv.conf and the rest goes in /etc/conf.d/net.

Last edited:
exequor said:
the thing is when i connect the desktop computer to the cable modem it works (this is the connection that I am using now), but when i connect the laptop to the desktop or the laptop to the desktop i get limited or no connectivity.
Right, like I (and dduardo) said, you need a crossover cable.
i noticed that the adapter at the back of the desktop has only four pins but my laptop has all 8, i don't know if that makes a difference (for e.g. if i need a different kind of cable or something)
Four pins is a phone line and an ethernet cable won't fit in it...

guys i know what a crossover cable is, and what a straight cable is. I have to check to see which one i have at the moment since i have not done so yet. I have a feeling that the problem is with the cable because packets are being sent out, but none are coming in.

the ethernet card in the desktop computer has four pins in its card (pci) and uses an ordinary rj45 plug.

Last edited:
Finally I got this thing to work. Over the past two days I was really pissed because I was not getting it to to work. Also guess what, the problem was not with the cable or the modem or anything else EXCEPT windows xp. It was only last night that I learned that there was some problem with winsock, dhcp in sp2. so i got a couple fixes off the net and finally got it to work. It was lastnight that i realized the pain that a lot of people went through too. the reason I was not aware of this is because only last week i moved to dsl from dialup.

windows cost me another two days

yea windows is frustrating to use with networks. You sound like a linux guy. And what's the sp2 in dhcp?

it is DHCP in SP2. DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, and it is responsible for assigning an ip address to a computer. SP2 is service pack 2.

Related to Network Problem: Acer Aspire 3000, SiS 900-basedPCI Fast Ethernet

1. How do I troubleshoot network problems on my Acer Aspire 3000?

To troubleshoot network problems on your Acer Aspire 3000, you can start by checking the physical connections of your Ethernet cable. Make sure it is securely plugged into both your laptop and your network router or modem. You can also try restarting your laptop and router to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, you can check for any software updates for your network adapter and make sure your network settings are configured correctly.

2. Why is my Ethernet connection not working on my Acer Aspire 3000?

There could be several reasons why your Ethernet connection is not working on your Acer Aspire 3000. It could be due to a faulty Ethernet cable or network adapter, incorrect network settings, or outdated drivers. Try troubleshooting these potential issues to determine the cause of the problem.

3. How do I update the drivers for my SiS 900-basedPCI Fast Ethernet on my Acer Aspire 3000?

You can update the drivers for your SiS 900-basedPCI Fast Ethernet by going to the Device Manager in your computer's Control Panel. Locate the network adapter and right-click on it, then select "Update driver." You can also visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers for your specific model of the network adapter.

4. How can I test the speed of my Ethernet connection on my Acer Aspire 3000?

To test the speed of your Ethernet connection on your Acer Aspire 3000, you can use a free online speed test tool. Simply connect your laptop to the Ethernet and run the speed test to see your download and upload speeds. This can help determine if there are any potential network issues affecting your connection.

5. Can I replace the SiS 900-basedPCI Fast Ethernet with a different network adapter on my Acer Aspire 3000?

Yes, you can replace the SiS 900-basedPCI Fast Ethernet with a different network adapter on your Acer Aspire 3000. However, make sure to check the compatibility of the new adapter with your laptop and to install the necessary drivers for it to function properly. It is also recommended to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guide before making any hardware changes to your laptop.