Calculate the magnitude of the tension force in the rope

In summary, for the first problem, the magnitude of the tension force in the rope during the acceleration of a 1050-kg car is 394N. For the second problem, the magnitude of the force of the brakes on the car is larger than the force in the first problem and can be calculated using the initial velocity and time. The change in velocity can be used to find the acceleration, which should be larger than 1.5 m/s^2.
psruler
Can anyone help me on two problems of my hw?

1) A tow rope is used to pull a 1050-kg along a level road, initially accelerating it from rest at 1.50m/s^2 for a duration of 12.0seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the tension force in the rope during this acceleration.(ignore friction in the problem)

My answer was 394N but i want to make sure if that was correct.

2) As a stoplight is approached, the person riding in the towed car applies the brakes and brings it to a stop in an additional 5.00s. Calculate the magnitude of the force of the brakes on the car, assuming the brakes are applied evenly so that the deceleration is constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding question 1:

This is clearly an "F=ma" question. A mass of 1050 KG and an acceleration 1.5 m/s^2should give a force of at least 1500N

Question 2:
There's a bunch of ways to do this one. One of the easiers ways is to use v=at to find the starting velocity, and then the force in a similar fashion. Clearly the force here is larger than the force for question 1.

Ok, I got the initial velocity for ques.2 and where do I go from there?

The change in velocity is equal to the acceleration multiplied by the time. You know the change in velocity, and the time, so that should give you the acceleration.

wouldn't that give me an acceleration of 1.5 again?

Ok i got it. thanks NateTG for your help!

What is the definition of tension force?

Tension force is a pulling force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or other material that is under tension.

How do you calculate the magnitude of tension force?

The magnitude of tension force can be calculated using the equation T = F * cos(theta), where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and theta is the angle between the rope and the direction of the applied force.

What factors affect the magnitude of tension force in a rope?

The magnitude of tension force is affected by the angle of the rope, the weight of the object being pulled, and the strength and elasticity of the rope.

Can tension force be negative?

No, tension force cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the amount of pulling force being applied to the rope.

What are some real-world applications of calculating tension force in a rope?

Calculating tension force in a rope is important in various fields such as engineering, construction, and sports. It is used to determine the appropriate strength and type of rope to be used in different situations, such as lifting heavy objects or securing structures. It is also used in sports like rock climbing and sailing to ensure the safety and stability of equipment and structures.