Net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the magnetization of a ferromagnetic object in the presence of two wires with parallel and opposing current flows. The behavior of the material can be determined through its hysteresis curve, which shows non-linear behavior. In this specific scenario, with a non-uniform magnetic field, it is difficult to predict the response of the system. There is a possibility that the material will magnetize in different directions based on the position of the wires.
PhiowPhi
Given this diagram:
Y9KUqjN.jpg

Two wires, having parallel and opposing current flows( Where ## I_1 = I_2 ##), creating opposing and equal magnetic fields near a ferromagnetic object(##F##), since the magnetic field of each wire is not uniform, I'm not really certain how to figure out the magnetization of the material, how would I work it out?
If the fields we're uniform I could say that it's zero, since they cancel out(not sure).

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem of ferromagnetic samples in a uniform magnetic field such as inside a current carrying solenoid is already reasonably complex, but can be determined by looking at the (measured) hysteresis curve for the particular ferromagnetic material. The typical hysteresis curve for a ferromagnetic material displays considerable non-linear behavior, and it would be difficult to assess how the sample would respond to the uniform magnetic field without such a graph. The scenario that you have with a very non-uniform applied magnetic field created by the electrical current in two wires is far more complicated, and it would be difficult to make any good predictions on how the system might respond. Perhaps other readers will have a better answer, but this is my best assessment.

Likes PhiowPhi
From the hysteresis curve
image006.jpg
It's quite easy for me to "assume" that the net-magnetization would be zero, if there are two uniformly opposing magnetic fields(of equal strength). However, in this case... i think the right side of the ferromagnet(and it's domains) will magnetize in the direction of the blue field lines, the same would happen for the left side magnetizing in the direction of the red field lines. While the center will be upwards? But that's just a simple assumption.

Last edited:

Related to Net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields?

1. What is net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields?

Net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields refers to the overall magnetization of a material in the presence of two opposing magnetic fields. This phenomenon is observed when a material is placed in between two magnetic fields of equal strength and opposite directions, causing the magnetic moments of the material to align in opposite directions, resulting in a net magnetization of zero.

2. How does net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields occur?

Net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields occurs when a material is placed in between two magnetic fields of equal strength and opposite directions. The magnetic moments of the material will align in opposite directions, resulting in a cancellation of the overall magnetization.

3. What factors affect net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields?

The strength and direction of the magnetic fields, as well as the magnetic properties of the material, can affect net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields. Materials with higher magnetic susceptibility will have a stronger response to the magnetic fields and may exhibit a higher net magnetization.

4. What are some practical applications of net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields?

Net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields has practical applications in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), where it is used to neutralize the effects of external magnetic fields on the imaging process. It is also used in magnetic shielding, where it helps to reduce the effects of external magnetic fields on sensitive equipment.

5. Can net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields be observed in everyday objects?

Yes, net magnetization with opposing magnetic fields can be observed in everyday objects. For example, if two magnets are placed in opposite directions on a metal surface, the magnetic moments of the metal atoms will align in opposite directions, resulting in a net magnetization of zero.