Net Ionic Equations: Answers to Questions

• Thread starter Haftred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, To summarize, the conversation involves questions about net ionic equations and reactions involving different substances such as calcium chloride, sulfuric acid, calcium acetate, HCl, zinc phosphate, potassium hydroxide, acetic acid, sodium sulfite, NaOH, and H2SO4. The main concerns are whether there would be a reaction or not, what the products would be, and how to calculate the volume of sulfuric acid needed to neutralize a given amount of NaOH.
Haftred
I am doing a study guide for an upcoming test, and I would like to check to make sure my answers are correct.

Write the net ionic equation: (assume all aqueuos)

calcium chloride and sulfuric acid:

I am not sure what would happen here when sulfuric acid reacts. Would it donate one proton or two? If it just donated two there would be no reaction, right?

calcium acetate solid and HCl:

I am not sure what the products are, so I cannot proceed with this problem. Would it form water, C02 and Ca (2+)?

solid zinc phosphate and HCl:

Zn(3)PO4(2) + 6H+ + PO4 (3-) ---> 3Zn (2+) + H3PO4

Sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide:

Again I am not sure about what sulfuric acid does, but my guess is:

H+ + OH- ---> H20

acetic acid + sodium sulfite ---> What would a sulfite + an acid yield?

What volume of x Molar sulfuric acid is required to neutralize y mL of z M NaOH:

I understand the stochiometry, but what is the reaction?

- Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The reaction you are looking for is: NaOH + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + H2O. To calculate the volume of x Molar sulfuric acid required to neutralize y mL of z M NaOH, use the following equation: Volume of x Molar sulfuric acid = (y mL * z M NaOH) / (x Molar sulfuric acid).

for your question! Let's go through each of these problems and check your answers.

1. Calcium chloride and sulfuric acid:
Net ionic equation: Ca2+ + 2Cl- + 2H+ + 2SO42- → Ca2+ + 2SO42- + 2H+ + 2Cl-

In this reaction, sulfuric acid will donate two protons (H+) to form calcium sulfate (CaSO4) and hydrochloric acid (HCl). The net ionic equation shows the ions that are actually involved in the reaction.

2. Calcium acetate solid and HCl:
Net ionic equation: Ca2+ + 2CH3COO- + 2H+ + 2Cl- → Ca2+ + 2Cl- + 2CH3COOH

In this reaction, calcium acetate (Ca(CH3COO)2) will dissociate into calcium ions (Ca2+) and acetate ions (CH3COO-). The HCl will donate a proton to the acetate ions to form acetic acid (CH3COOH). The net ionic equation shows the ions that are actually involved in the reaction.

3. Solid zinc phosphate and HCl:
Net ionic equation: Zn3(PO4)2 + 6H+ → 3Zn2+ + 2PO43- + 3H2PO4-

In this reaction, zinc phosphate (Zn3(PO4)2) will dissociate into zinc ions (Zn2+) and phosphate ions (PO43-). The HCl will donate protons to the phosphate ions to form phosphoric acid (H3PO4). The net ionic equation shows the ions that are actually involved in the reaction.

4. Sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide:
Net ionic equation: 2H+ + 2OH- → 2H2O

In this reaction, sulfuric acid (H2SO4) will donate two protons (H+) to form water (H2O). The net ionic equation shows the ions that are actually involved in the reaction.

5. Acetic acid + sodium sulfite:
Net ionic equation: H+ + CH3COO- + SO32- → H2O + CH3COOH + SO32-

In this reaction, acetic acid (CH

Related to Net Ionic Equations: Answers to Questions

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the participating ions and their charges in a chemical reaction. It excludes spectator ions, which do not participate in the reaction.

2. How is a net ionic equation different from a regular chemical equation?

A regular chemical equation includes all reactants and products, while a net ionic equation only includes the ions involved in the reaction. It is a simplified version of the chemical equation that focuses on the ions that actually participate in the reaction.

3. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations are important because they help to clearly show the actual chemical reaction taking place by eliminating spectator ions. They also allow for easier identification of the ions involved in a reaction and their respective charges.

4. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write out the balanced chemical equation. Then, identify and cancel out any spectator ions on both sides of the equation. Finally, write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.

5. Can you write a net ionic equation for a reaction that takes place in a solution?

Yes, net ionic equations can be written for reactions that take place in a solution. The same steps apply: write out the balanced chemical equation, cancel out spectator ions, and write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.