Net Ionic Equation clarification

• Thread starter kara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the software states that if you react one mole of each reactant, you will produce one mole of the solid product. However, this will not produce one gram of the solid.
kara
I obtained a net ionic equn' as follows

Ba +2 (aq) + SO4 2- (aq) ----> BaSO4 (s)

Now I need clarification for the following question and my answer to it.

What is the max amount of solid product that could be obtained by reacting one mole of each reactant?

I believe that b/c of the mole ratio being 1:1 between both reactants and the product, so the max amount of solid product would be 1 mol, or 1 g.

Is this reasonable to state?

Physics news on Phys.org
kara said:
I obtained a net ionic equn' as follows

Ba +2 (aq) + SO4 2- (aq) ----> BaSO4 (s)

Now I need clarification for the following question and my answer to it.

What is the max amount of solid product that could be obtained by reacting one mole of each reactant?

I believe that b/c of the mole ratio being 1:1 between both reactants and the product, so the max amount of solid product would be 1 mol, or 1 g.

Is this reasonable to state?
Ba2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) ----> BaSO4 (s) is a one to one ratio (i.e. 1:1). So one mole of each reactant will produce one mole of the solid, if the reaction is 100% efficient. However, it will not produce one gram of the solid. Remember, the mole is not the same as mass. One mole of a substance contains 6.23 x 1023 molecules of the substance but one gram of a substance can contain different numbers of moles.

Remember that: Molar Mass / Mr (Units: g mol-1) = Mass / m (Units: g) / Moles / mol (Units mole)

So one mole of Carbon will have a mass of 12 grams but one mole of Hydrogen gas will have a mass of 2g.

So on the whole, what you were saying was true. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
However, it will not produce one gram of the solid.

(...)

So on the whole, what you were saying was true. :biggrin:

So was it true, or not ;)

kara: 1 mole, but not 1 gram.

Borek said:
So was it true, or not ;)

kara: 1 mole, but not 1 gram.

Borek
--
General Chemistry Software
www.pH-meter.info
Yer, yer... very funny... :biggrin: It was almost all true. It was just the little
, or 1g
that was not. So...

1 mole of BaSO4 is approx. 233 grams. Happy? :-p

The Bob (2004 ©)

Related to Net Ionic Equation clarification

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the ions and molecules that are directly involved in a chemical reaction. It eliminates spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction.

2. How is a net ionic equation different from a regular chemical equation?

A regular chemical equation shows all of the reactants and products in a chemical reaction, while a net ionic equation only shows the ions and molecules that are directly involved in the reaction. It simplifies the equation and allows for a clearer understanding of the actual chemical change taking place.

3. When should a net ionic equation be used?

A net ionic equation should be used when the reaction involves ions in solution. It is particularly useful for reactions involving acids, bases, and ionic compounds.

4. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify any strong acids or bases and write their dissociated ions. Next, eliminate any spectator ions by crossing them out on both sides of the equation. Finally, write the remaining ions to create the net ionic equation.

5. Why is it important to understand net ionic equations?

Understanding net ionic equations allows for a deeper understanding of chemical reactions. It allows for the identification of the actual chemical change taking place and eliminates unnecessary information. It is also important in predicting and understanding the products of a reaction, as well as in determining the concentration of ions in a solution.