Net gravitational force on earth

In summary, the Earth has a mass of 5.98 x 10^24 kg and the moon has a mass of 7.35 x 10^22 kg. The distance from the centre of the moon to the centre of the Earth is 3.84 x 10^8m. A rocket with a total mass of 1200kg is 3.0 x 10^8 m from the centre of the Earth and directly in between the Earth and the moon. Using Sir Issac Newton's Law of Gravitation, we can calculate the net gravitational force on the rocket from the Earth and moon by finding the distance between the rocket and the moon and adding the forces together.
fa08ti
the Earth has a mass of 5.98 x 10^24 kg and the moon has a mass of 7.35 x 10^22 kg. the distance from the centre of the moon to the centre of the Earth is 3.84 x 10^8m. a rocket with a total mass of 1200kg is 3.0 x 10^8 m from the centre of the Earth and directly in between the Earth and the moon. find the net gravitational force on the rocket from the Earth and moon.

ATTEMPT

ok so i used Fnet=( (Gm1m2)/r^2) + ( (Gm2m3)/r^2)

m1 would be the mass of earth, m2 is the mass of the rocket and m3 is the mass of the moon
what I'm confused about are the r values. for the first one i used 3.0 x 10^8 and for the second r value is subtracted 3.0 x 10^8 from 3.84 x 10^8m. is that correct?
i got a big number for the answer (2.30 x 10^9 N) so i want to make sure i understand how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
Very close; there is only one error. Hint: think about the directions of the forces.

i was thinking i should subtract the values because the rocket is in the middle and since gravity attracts and doesn't repel. is that anywhere near logical?

fa08ti said:
i was thinking i should subtract the values because the rocket is in the middle and since gravity attracts and doesn't repel. is that anywhere near logical?

Yes you are correct

"a rocket with a total mass of 1200kg is 3.0 x 10^8 m from the centre of the Earth and directly in between the Earth and the moon."

Doesn't this mean that the rocket forms a triangle with the Earth and moon?
If so, would we not have to calculate the distance between the rocket and the moon, and then add the forces together to get the net gravitational force?

Or is the rocket directly in line with the Earth and moon...

Last edited:
ch_advanced said:
"a rocket with a total mass of 1200kg is 3.0 x 10^8 m from the centre of the Earth and directly in between the Earth and the moon."

Doesn't this mean that the rocket forms a triangle with the Earth and moon?
If so, would we not have to calculate the distance between the rocket and the moon, and then add the forces together to get the net gravitational force?

Or is the rocket directly in line with the Earth and moon...

" directly in between the Earth and the moon " would imply that all the 3 are on a straight line.
And yes, we would have to calculate distance b/w rocket and moon, though it is not at all difficult i suppose :D

And then we would simply use Sir Issac Newton's Law Of Gravitation.

Related to Net gravitational force on earth

What is the net gravitational force on Earth?

The net gravitational force on Earth is the combined force of gravity from all objects with mass on Earth. This includes the force from the Earth itself, as well as from the Sun, Moon, and other celestial bodies.

How is the net gravitational force on Earth calculated?

The net gravitational force on Earth is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects with mass is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the direction of the net gravitational force on Earth?

The net gravitational force on Earth is always directed towards the center of the Earth. This is why objects fall towards the ground, as they are being pulled towards the center of the Earth by its gravitational force.

What factors affect the net gravitational force on Earth?

The net gravitational force on Earth is primarily affected by the mass and distance of objects. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force. Similarly, the closer an object is to Earth, the stronger its gravitational force.

How does the net gravitational force on Earth impact our daily lives?

The net gravitational force on Earth is responsible for keeping our planet in orbit around the Sun, as well as for the tides and the rotation of the Earth. It also affects the weight of objects on Earth, as the gravitational force is what keeps objects on the ground and prevents them from floating away into space.