Net force is Zero, quadratic answers

In summary, three point charges with different magnitudes are placed along the x axis, with one at the origin and the other at a distance of 2.00m from the origin. The net force on a third charge, placed between the first two, is 0. Based on a given formula, the x coordinate of the third charge is calculated to be 0.775m or -3.44m, but the latter is not physically possible. This is similar to the concept of a ball falling off a cliff, where a negative time solution is not feasible in reality.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Three point charges lie along the x axis. The positive charge q1 = 15.0uC and is at x = 2.00m (2.00 away from the origin), the positive q2 = 6.00uC is at the origin. The net force on q3 which is between q2 and q1 is 0. What is the x coordinate of q3?

solution

My book (serway and jewett, 8ed, pg 665) says x = 0.775 from 3x^2 + 8x - 8 = 0

the other x = -3.44m

The book says the negative one is (and here I quote) "the magnitude of the forces on q3 are equal, but both forces are in the same direction".

Unfortunately I have no idea what that means, based on my knowledge, isn't the negative one just another point where it satisfies the conditon? So if it was moved to satisfy x = -3.44, then x = 0.755 would be rejected?

Physics news on Phys.org
If every charge is positive, would it make sense that the third positive charge could lie on the left-hand side of the first two charges and not feel a force?

The -3.44m is an unphysical answer. It is kind of like the typical ball falling off of a cliff kinematic problem where if you were asked to calculate the time the ball hits the ground, you'll find 2 times due to the quadratic nature of the calculation. One relates to the real situation where the ball hits the ground on the right hand side and the other one is as if time were reversed and the ball went from the top of the hill to the ground in the opposite direction (though the hill is in the way...). I hope that makes sense...

Related to Net force is Zero, quadratic answers

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account the magnitude and direction of all individual forces.

2. How do you determine if the net force is zero?

If the sum of all forces on an object is equal to zero, then the net force is zero. This means that all forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no acceleration.

3. What is the equation for net force?

The equation for net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet represents the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

4. What does it mean if the net force is zero?

If the net force is zero, it means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This is because all forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no resulting acceleration.

5. How does net force relate to quadratic answers?

Quadratic answers may arise when solving for the net force in a system with multiple forces acting on an object. This is because the equation Fnet = ma is a quadratic equation, with a squared term representing the acceleration. It is important to carefully consider all forces and their directions to accurately determine the net force and solve for acceleration in these cases.