Net force due to gravity (sort of conceptual questions)

In summary, the net gravitational force on mass M located at the center of an equilateral triangle is 0, and the masses on all three sides of the triangle must be equal. Calculating the field created by the two masses at point m4 and comparing it to the field from a single mass of 2m directly below m4 can help understand why the conceptual approach does not work. Additionally, using an incorrect distance for the component calculation can lead to inaccurate results.
LogicX

Homework Statement

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c13/fig13_37.gif

Masses m are the same on the bottom, and the net gravitational force is 0 on m4 which is located at the center of an equilateral triangle. What is the mass of M?

Homework Equations

Fg=GmM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, obviously the answer is that M=m because its an equilateral triangle so the masses on all three sides must be the same. But I was thinking about it conceptually a different way and I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

Lets say you find the center of mass of the bottom two. It is located halfway between them both. So you can consider both masses of m as if they were in that point right? So the center of mass (with mass 2m) is in line with M and the same distance away from m4 as M, because m4 is in the center of the triangle. So in order for M to offset 2m to 0, M must equal 2m. What am I doing wrong here?

Here is another one.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c13/qu_1.8.gif

What is the net force on the center mass, in component form? (and you are given the different masses of all the particles, and a side length of the square)

I got this one correct using the regular method of getting each force from each mass on the center mass (with r being half of the diagonal through the square) to get a vector and then using sin45 and cos45 to divide the vector into component form. But then I got it wrong by doing it this way:

Instead of getting the magnitude of the total vector I tried to solve for each component separately. So taking an example force, say the y component of the force of mass 2 on mass 5. I tried to use an r value of side length/2 because that is how far away it is in the y direction. Shouldn't this have worked?

Thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LogicX said:
Lets say you find the center of mass of the bottom two. It is located halfway between them both. So you can consider both masses of m as if they were in that point right?
No. If the two masses were in a uniform gravitational field and you wanted to find the net force acting on them, then you can use that approach. But that's not what's going on here. Here you are trying to find the field created by those masses.

Actually do the calculation of the field created by the two masses at point m4. Then compare it to the field from a single mass of 2m directly below m4.

LogicX said:
Instead of getting the magnitude of the total vector I tried to solve for each component separately. So taking an example force, say the y component of the force of mass 2 on mass 5. I tried to use an r value of side length/2 because that is how far away it is in the y direction. Shouldn't this have worked?
No. Take this example. Mass m is at the origin. The point P is at (1 m, 10000000 m). Clearly the force at P is small because it's over 10000000 m away from mass m. If you computed the x-component based on a distance of only 1 m, you'd be wildly wrong.

Related to Net force due to gravity (sort of conceptual questions)

1. What is net force due to gravity?

Net force due to gravity is the overall force exerted on an object by the Earth's gravitational pull. It is the combination of all the individual gravitational forces acting on the object from all directions.

2. How is net force due to gravity calculated?

Net force due to gravity is calculated using the formula Fg = G(m1m2)/r^2, where Fg is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect net force due to gravity?

According to the inverse square law, the force of gravity between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This means that the further apart two objects are, the weaker the net force due to gravity will be.

4. How does mass affect net force due to gravity?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity it exerts on other objects. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the stronger the net force due to gravity acting on it will be.

5. Does net force due to gravity only apply to objects on Earth?

No, net force due to gravity applies to all objects in the universe. It is a fundamental force that exists between all objects with mass, regardless of their location or environment.