Net Flux through a cube with a varying electric field only along the Y-axis.

In summary: So flux is positive.In summary, the problem involves finding the net flux through a cube with a vertex at (0, a, 0) and side lengths a, given an E-field of \vec{E}y = b\sqrt{y}\hat{j} V/m. This can be solved using either the divergence theorem or by directly evaluating the flux. The divergence of E is (b/2)(y^(-1/2)), which is a scalar. Integrating this over the volume of the cube yields the answer of (a^2)(b)((-sqrt(2a)) + (sqrt(a))).
BeRiemann

Homework Statement

An E-field is given as [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]y = b[itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex][itex]\hat{j}[/itex] V/m. Find the net flux through a cube with vertex at (0, a, 0) and side lengths a. (A picture is attached, but it is essentially the cube that would typically be at the origin, shifted along the y-axis by a units) (You can use the divergence theorem or evaluate the flux directly)
I would like to know both methods, as the next few questions specify.

Homework Equations

Net Flux = (charge)/([itex]\epsilon[/itex]0) = integral(Divergence dot E-field)dV

The Attempt at a Solution

The dot of divergence and E-field yields (b/2)(y^(-1/2)). This is where I'm lost, as I'm not sure how to integrate with respect to volume if the field is only along the y-axis. I've played around with it a little bit and got the answer ((b*a^3)/2)((1/sqrt(a)) - (1/sqrt(2a))) but I do not think this is correct. Any help or hints is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any attachment. Is another vertex at (0, 2a, 0) ?

Yes, the divergence of E is (b/2)(y^(-1/2)), but that is just a scalar. It has no direction after taking the divergence. Integrate this over the volume of the cube.

Yes, another vertex is at (0,2a,0), I don't have a scanner with me to upload the visual. The other vertexes are at (0,a,a), (0,2a,a), (a,a,0), (a,2a,0), (a,a,a), (a,2a,a).
If it's just a scalar is my answer simply the integral at (0,a,0) minus at (0,2a,0) where v = a^3? I think that's what I did.

BeRiemann said:
Yes, another vertex is at (0,2a,0), I don't have a scanner with me to upload the visual. The other vertexes are at (0,a,a), (0,2a,a), (a,a,0), (a,2a,0), (a,a,a), (a,2a,a).
If it's just a scalar is my answer simply the integral at (0,a,0) minus at (0,2a,0) where v = a^3? I think that's what I did.
No. It is simple, but not that simple.

Do you know how to write a volume integral in rectangular coordinates: x, y, z ?

Otherwise you could use dV = a2dy .

He's not keen on us using triple integrals yet, so I'll have to use the substitution. So in this case would the answer actually be (a^2)(b)((-sqrt(2a)) + (sqrt(a)))?

Isn't the integral from y=a to y=2a ?

I get the opposite sign.

Ah, I took the convention that flux out is negative and flux in is positive.

Related to Net Flux through a cube with a varying electric field only along the Y-axis.

1. What is a net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis?

The net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis is the measure of the electric field passing through the surface of the cube. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the electric field.

2. How is net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis calculated?

The net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector of the cube. This is then integrated over the surface of the cube to get the total flux.

3. What factors affect the net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis?

The net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the orientation and size of the cube. The presence of other charges in the surrounding environment may also influence the net flux.

4. Why is the Y-axis specifically mentioned in the context of net flux through a cube?

In this scenario, the electric field is only varying along the Y-axis, which means that the electric field is constant along the other axes. This simplifies the calculation of the net flux and allows for a more focused analysis of the electric field's effects.

5. What is the significance of calculating net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis?

Calculating the net flux through a cube with a varying electric field along the Y-axis allows for a better understanding of how electric fields behave in three-dimensional space. It also has practical applications, such as in determining the strength and direction of electric fields in various systems and environments.