Net electrostatic force : four particles form a square

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Q/q for a system of four particles forming a square with two equal charges, q1 = q4 = Q and q2 = q3 = q. The net electrostatic force on particles 1 and 3 is zero, leading to the question of what is Q/q. The conversation involves multiple attempts at solving the problem, with the final solution being Q/q=1.
feistytigger
I apologize in advance - I am completely clueless about this one. I thought I had it figured out, but it turns out that I think I don't know where to even start.
Four particles form a square. The charges are q1 = q4 = Q and q2 = q3 = q. What is Q/q if the net electrostatic force on particles 1 and 3 is zero?
hrw7_21-22.gif

See, I thought it would work out to be 1 since I thought q and Q must be the same for the force to be zero. Apparently I am mistaken. So... show me start to finish pretty please? :biggrin:

Attachments

• hrw7_21-22.gif
    hrw7_21-22.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Your right that Q and q have to have oppisite sighns for the forces to cancel out. But you have to show some work first and eaven the we almost never don't give full answers.
Hint: Just draw out the force components and show when the total on each axis is zero.

But I thought this was one of those that you don't really do work - it's logic. Say Q is 2. q has to be -2. Q/q=-1? But that's not right either...

I tried figuring it out this way:
The distance from particle 1 to 4 is sqrt(2a^2), so the force there is k(2Q/(sqrt(2a^2)^2) which simplifies to k(Q/a).
The combined forces of 2 and 3 will pull 1 in at a 45 degree angle to 2 or 3, which is the same direction 4 is pushing away at.
So, for 1: F=k(Q*q/a^2), except we have to take the 45 degrees into account, so F=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2).
Set them equal, and we have:
k(Q/a)=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2)
Q=2*Q*q*cos(45)/a
q=a/2cos(45)

Then for particle 3:
F=k(2q/(sqrt(2a^2)^2)=k(q/a)
F=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2)
k(q/a)=k(2*Q*q*cos(45)/a^2)
Q=a/2cos(45)

Q=a/2cos(45)=q, so Q/q is 1. ?

feistytigger said:
The distance from particle 1 to 4 is sqrt(2a^2), so the force there is
k(2Q/(sqrt(2a^2)^2)

It should be:
k(Q^2/(sqrt(2a^2)^2).

Related to Net electrostatic force : four particles form a square

1. What is net electrostatic force?

Net electrostatic force is the total force that electrically charged particles exert on each other. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by adding up all the individual electrostatic forces between the particles.

2. How is net electrostatic force calculated?

To calculate net electrostatic force, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic forces between all the charged particles. You can then use vector addition to find the total force.

3. What is the importance of four particles forming a square in net electrostatic force?

Four particles forming a square is a common scenario used to explain the concept of net electrostatic force. In this arrangement, the forces between the particles cancel out, resulting in a net force of zero. It allows for a simple illustration of how net electrostatic force can be calculated.

4. How does the distance between particles affect net electrostatic force?

The net electrostatic force between particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between particles increases, the net force decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the net force increases.

5. Can the net electrostatic force be negative?

Yes, the net electrostatic force can be negative. This occurs when the individual electrostatic forces between particles are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force pointing in the opposite direction. A negative net force indicates that the particles will be attracted to each other.