Net Electric Field Strength at a Point due to a Uniform Electric Field

In summary, when calculating the net electric field at a specific point, it is important to consider both the uniform electric field and the field from any added point charges. These fields must be broken down into their components in order to be properly added together. In the given problem, the net electric field at y = 0.2 m is the square root of the sum of the square of the field from the point charge, which acts in the y-axis direction, and the square of the field from the uniform electric field, which acts in the x-axis direction.
slaw155

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field exists everywhere in the x, y plane. This electric field has a magnitude of 3600 N/C and is directed in the positive x direction. A point charge -9.8 × 10-9 C is placed at the origin. Find the magnitude of the net electric field at y = +0.20 m.

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought at first because the the y-direction is perpendicular to the electric field direction that the field strength would be 0, but this is wrong. I then thought the field would be the same at that point i.e. be 3600N/C, but that was wrong too. So how do I correctly solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that you have two contributions to the electric field here. One from the uniform field and one from the added point charge.

So because the uniform field acts perpendicular to the field from the point charge, the electric field at y=0.2m would be just the electric field from the point charge alone? Is my understanding correct?

slaw155 said:
So because the uniform field acts perpendicular to the field from the point charge, the electric field at y=0.2m would be just the electric field from the point charge alone? Is my understanding correct?

That's not quite right. The electric field at the location y = 0.2 m, is [itex] \mathrm{(3600 \ N/C)} \hat a_x [/itex] plus whatever the electric field is from the point charge. (In my notation, I am using [itex] \hat a_x [/itex] as the unit vector pointing in the x direction.)

Don't forget that they are vectors. (Don't merely sum the magnitudes.) [Edit: Hint: you need to break up each, individual electric field into its components, then you may sum the corresponding components of the individual fields.]

So 3600N/C field acts in the x-axis direction, and the field from the point charge acts in all directions with a value of (9x10^9 x 9.8 x 10^-9)/0.2^2. So what I do is add these two together to find the total electric field in the x-axis direction (let this sum be A), and the field in the y-axis direction is just the field from the point charge (let this sum be B). And then I can use Pythagoras' formula here to say total electric field at y=0.2m = square root of (A^2+B^2). Is this now correct?

slaw155 said:
So what I do is add these two together to find the total electric field in the x-axis direction

No, does the point charge give a field component in the x direction?

Doesn't the point charge give a field in all directions?

It gives a field pointing in the radial direction. Along the y-axis, the radial direction is the y-axis and therefore the point charge does not give any component in the x-direction.

Oh I see. So basically letting A= field due to point charge (which is in y-axis direction) and B = field due to field in x-axis direction, because they are at right angles to each other net electric field at y=0.2m = square root of [ [(9x10^9 x 9.8x10^-9)/(0.2^2)]^2 + (3600^2)]?

That would be the correct idea, yes.

Orodruin said:
That would be the correct idea, yes.

The answer still came out wrong?

Related to Net Electric Field Strength at a Point due to a Uniform Electric Field

1. What is the definition of Net Electric Field Strength?

The Net Electric Field Strength, also known as the Electric Field Intensity, is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at that point.

2. How is Net Electric Field Strength calculated?

The Net Electric Field Strength is calculated by dividing the total electric force acting on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. It is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the electric force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Net Electric Field Strength?

The unit of measurement for Net Electric Field Strength is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In other systems, it may also be measured in Volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does distance affect Net Electric Field Strength?

The Net Electric Field Strength decreases as the distance from the source charge increases. This is because the electric force follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases by the square of the distance. Therefore, the farther away a test charge is from the source charge, the weaker the electric field strength will be.

5. What is the difference between Net Electric Field Strength and Electric Potential?

Net Electric Field Strength and Electric Potential are related but different concepts. Electric Potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point, while Net Electric Field Strength is a measure of the force per unit charge at a given point. In simple terms, Electric Potential tells us how much work is needed to move a test charge to a certain point, while Net Electric Field Strength tells us how much force the test charge will experience at that point.