Net electric field in a circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angles and the net electric field in a specific scenario. The participants suggest stopping to think before making assumptions and using symmetry arguments to determine the total electric field. They also mention the cancellation of the x and y components and the possibility of treating the 2q charge as two separate q charges.
jisbon
Homework Statement
5 positive point charges are uniformly distributed and fixed around a circle of radius R. Determine the net electric field at the centre of the circle in terms of q and R.
Relevant Equations
-
1580091423802.png

In this case, I know there won't be any net efield in the x direction because it cancels out with each other.
The problem is dealing with the y axis. Am I supposed to presume an angle for each of them or what should I do instead?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that you don't know enough Geometry to calculate the angles you need to know? What is 360/5?

I strongly suggest that you stop and think a bit before charging into compute angles. What would the field be if you replaced the 2q charge with a q charge?

Likes gneill
Orodruin said:
I strongly suggest that you stop and think a bit before charging into compute angles. What would the field be if you replaced the 2q charge with a q charge?
There won't be any net charge. Since it is 2q, I can assume the net efield is only a +q charge lying on the y axis?

jisbon said:
There won't be any net charge.
I hope you mean net electric field, there certainly is a net charge and in any point other than the origin you cannot apply the symmetry argument.

jisbon said:
Since it is 2q, I can assume the net efield is only a +q charge lying on the y axis?
You should not assume anythimg, you should argue for your conclusion. But yes, the electric field is additive. The total electric field will be that of five symmetrically positioned q charges and an additional q charge on the y axis.

Likes Chestermiller
Orodruin said:
I hope you mean net electric field, there certainly is a net charge and in any point other than the origin you cannot apply the symmetry argument.You should not assume anythimg, you should argue for your conclusion. But yes, the electric field is additive. The total electric field will be that of five symmetrically positioned q charges and an additional q charge on the y axis.
Yep sorry I meant net efield. If there are 5 q charges positioned as shown, there won't be any net efield because the y and x-axis pretty much cancels out one another. So I can treat the 2q as two separate q charges, then conclude that the net efield is only due to a q charge on the y axis?

Related to Net electric field in a circle

What is the net electric field in a circle?

The net electric field in a circle is the sum of all electric fields at any point in a circular region. It is a vector quantity that represents the direction and strength of the electric field.

How is the net electric field in a circle calculated?

The net electric field in a circle can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge enclosed by the circle, and r is the radius of the circle.

Is the net electric field in a circle constant?

No, the net electric field in a circle is not constant. It varies depending on the distance from the center of the circle and the distribution of charges within the circle.

What is the direction of the net electric field in a circle?

The direction of the net electric field in a circle is always radial, i.e. it points away from the center of the circle for a positive charge and towards the center for a negative charge.

How does the net electric field change when the radius of the circle is increased or decreased?

If the radius of the circle is increased, the net electric field decreases in magnitude. If the radius is decreased, the net electric field increases in magnitude. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance from the source charge.