Net displacement problem with two triangles

In summary, the ball's net displacement, in centimeters, is approximately 146 cm. The displacement can be calculated by adding the distance rolled on the porch (60 cm) to the distance rolled on the grass (80 cm), and then adding the vertical drop (40 cm). The resulting triangle formed by these points can be used to find the displacement using the Pythagorean theorem. The final answer should be rounded to the nearest integer, which in this case would be 146 cm.
ikihi

Homework Statement

A ball on a porch rolls 60 cm to the porch's edge, drops 40 cm, continues rolling on the grass, and eventually stops 80 cm from the porch's edge.

What is the magnitude of the ball's net displacement, in centimeters?

ball starts rolling here
\/
rolls 60cm->
#----------#
******** -
******** - <- ball goes down 40 cm
******** -
******** #-----------------# <---ball stops rolling here

.....ball rolls 80cm ^

Homework Equations

The length of both a and b are known for both triangles, then c, the hypotenuse, can
......... _________
be calculated as follows: c=√a^2+b^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

72 cm and 89 cm are the hypotenuse's of two different triangles.

The first triangle is 40 and 60; The hypotenuse is 72 cm. The second is 40 and 80: this one's hypotenuse is 89 cm. I need to find the magnitude of the ball's net displacement. This is where I'm confused. And have I done this problem correct up to this point or am I way off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you care about a point in the middle?

voko said:
Why do you care about a point in the middle?

I don't know. I may be over thinking this problem

For displacement, only the end points are important. Consider them.

voko said:
For displacement, only the end points are important. Consider them.

Well I would say that where the ball started is the first point and the end point is where the ball stopped on the lawn. And so the displacement would probably be a straight line from the start to finish.

Last edited:
That is correct.

voko said:
That is correct.

Ok. I understand the concept then. I just don't understand how to get the solution.

Why exactly can you not compute the displacement? You were able to compute displacements to/from some arbitrary middle points.

voko said:
Why exactly can you not compute the displacement? You were able to compute displacements to/from some arbitrary middle points.

I'm not sure.
Is it the displacement of the first triangle(72cm) + 80cm for the remaining length traveled on the x axis?

152 cm?

Last edited:
Again. You can compute the displacement to some arbitrary middle point ("the first triangle"). What can't you just do it for the entire displacement in the exact same way?

voko said:
Again. You can compute the displacement to some arbitrary middle point ("the first triangle"). What can't you just do it for the entire displacement in the exact same way?

vector addition?

Last edited:
voko said:

I guess I don't know the correct formula.
Am I correct in thinking that the unknown displacement wouldn't be part of a right triangle, and so I can't use the Pythagorean theorem?

Look at the end points of the displacement in the diagram in your post #1. Then look at the point at the intersection of the vertical line from the first point, and the horizontal line from the second point. What can you say about the triangle made of these three points?

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Look at the end points of the displacement in the diagram in your post #1. Then look at the point at the intersection of the vertical line from the first point, and the horizontal line from the second point. What can you say about the triangle made of these three points?

Oh okay thankyou. So we can add 60 +80. and that's 140. and the y-axis is 40. so the displacement is 145.6cm.

it has 2 sig figs so would it be: ≈145 or ≈146 or ≈145.60 ?

Very well. You should round it to the nearest integer, because your input did not have any meaningful decimal figures. You have .6 - does that round toward 0, or toward 1?

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Very well. You should round it to the nearest integer, because your input did not have any meaningful decimal figures. You have .6 - does that round toward 0, or toward 1?

toward 1

Last edited:

Related to Net displacement problem with two triangles

1. What is the "net displacement problem with two triangles"?

The net displacement problem with two triangles is a mathematical problem that involves finding the total displacement of an object that moves between two points using two different paths. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of an object.

2. How do you solve the net displacement problem with two triangles?

The net displacement problem with two triangles can be solved by using the Pythagorean theorem and vector addition. First, find the individual displacements of the two paths using the Pythagorean theorem. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant displacement, which is the net displacement of the object.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance and direction from the starting point to the ending point. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object.

4. What are the common applications of the net displacement problem with two triangles?

The net displacement problem with two triangles is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects, such as in projectile motion and navigation systems. It is also used in sports, such as determining the total displacement of a ball thrown by a baseball player.

5. Can the net displacement be zero in the net displacement problem with two triangles?

Yes, the net displacement can be zero if the two paths taken by the object have equal and opposite displacements. This means that the object will end up at the same position as its starting point, resulting in a net displacement of zero.