Net charge of a distribution that includes delta function

In summary, we need to show that the charge distribution given has zero net charge for any Z and R. This can be done by integrating the charge density over the volume and using spherical polar coordinates. The first integral involves the delta function raised to the third power, but this does not mean cubed, it is just a 3-dimensional delta function. The volume integral can be split into two parts, one in cartesian coordinates and one in spherical coordinates, and the integral of the delta function can be easily calculated in both cases.
coaxmetal

Homework Statement

show that the charge distribution ([tex]|\vec{r}|\equiv r [/tex])
[tex]\rho(r) = Z\delta^3(\vec{r})-\frac{Ze^{-r/R}}{4\pi R^2r}[/tex]
has zero net charge for any Z and R. Explain the meaning of Z.

Homework Equations

none given, but divergence (gauss) theorem and poisson's equation may be necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

integrate to get net charge:
[tex]Q = \displaystyle\int_V \rho(\vec{r})d\tau[/tex]

I can split this into 2 integrals and use the volume element for spherical polar coordinates ([tex]d\tau = r^2dr \sin{\theta} d\theta d\varphi[/tex]), so the first integral is

[tex]\displaystyle\int_V Z\delta^3(\vec{r})r^2dr \sin{\theta} d\theta d\varphi[/tex]

This is what I get stuck on. I don't know how to handle the delta function (I assume the Dirac delta, I am given no other information) raised to a power. The fact that the volume integral is a triple integral seems like it may be important here, but I don't recall any tricks or anything about volume integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
An integral of a delta function is very simple. If you get confused in spherical coords, then switch to cartesian coords for that integral. It isn't illegal to switch coordinate systems. Although the 2nd integral you will definitely want to use spherical coords. Hopefully you know the integral of a delta function in one dimension.

what I am having trouble with is how to integrate the cube of the delta function... Do you think it is supposed to be the third derivative, not the cube? (the notation given is exactly as shown, and to me that notation means cube). That would make more sense to me.

If it is the cube, how should I deal with it?

It doesn't mean cubed. Just like [tex]d^3r[/tex] in a volume integral doesn't mean cubed. It just means it is a 3-dimensional delta function. In cartesian coords it looks like:

[tex]\delta^3(\vec{r}) = \delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z) \neq \delta(\vec{r}) \delta(\vec{r}) \delta(\vec{r})[/tex]

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the meaning of Z in the given charge distribution. Z typically represents the atomic number or number of protons in an atom, so it is likely that this distribution is describing the charge distribution of an atom with a nucleus at the origin. This makes sense given the use of spherical polar coordinates and the presence of the exponential term representing the electron cloud.

Moving on to the actual problem, it is clear that the first term in the charge distribution, Z\delta^3(\vec{r}), represents the charge of the nucleus concentrated at the origin. The second term, -\frac{Ze^{-r/R}}{4\pi R^2r}, represents the charge of the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus.

To show that the net charge of this distribution is zero, we can use Gauss's law, which states that the flux of the electric field through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface. In this case, we can choose a spherical surface centered at the origin and enclosing the entire charge distribution.

By symmetry, the electric field at any point on this surface will be directed radially outward. We can then use Gauss's law to relate the electric field to the charge enclosed by the surface:

\oint_S \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}

Since the electric field is constant over the spherical surface, we can pull it out of the integral and solve for the enclosed charge:

\vec{E}\cdot 4\pi r^2 = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}

Q_{enc} = 4\pi r^2 \epsilon_0 \vec{E}

Now, using the given charge distribution, we can calculate the enclosed charge:

Q_{enc} = \displaystyle\int_V \rho(\vec{r})d\tau = \displaystyle\int_V Z\delta^3(\vec{r})-\frac{Ze^{-r/R}}{4\pi R^2r} d\tau

The first term in this integral, Z\delta^3(\vec{r}), will only contribute to the enclosed charge at r=0, since the delta function is zero everywhere else. However, at r=0, the exponential term in the second term is also zero, so the entire integral becomes zero.

Therefore,

Related to Net charge of a distribution that includes delta function

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is often used in physics and engineering to represent a point charge or impulse. It is defined as an infinitely narrow and tall function with an area of 1 under its curve.

2. How does the delta function contribute to the net charge of a distribution?

The delta function can be used to represent a point charge within a distribution. The net charge of a distribution is the sum of all individual charges within that distribution, including the contributions from the delta functions. Therefore, the delta function plays a crucial role in determining the net charge of a distribution.

3. Can the net charge of a distribution be negative?

Yes, the net charge of a distribution can be negative if there are more negative charges than positive charges within the distribution. The presence of delta functions with negative charges can also contribute to a negative net charge.

4. How is the net charge of a distribution calculated when there are multiple delta functions present?

To calculate the net charge of a distribution with multiple delta functions, each delta function's charge must be determined. This can be done by multiplying the magnitude of the delta function's charge by the value of the delta function at that point. The net charge is then the sum of all individual delta function charges.

5. Can the net charge of a distribution with delta functions be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the net charge of a distribution to be zero even if there are multiple delta functions present. This can occur if the charges of the delta functions are equal and opposite, cancelling each other out. Additionally, the presence of other charges within the distribution can also contribute to a net charge of zero.