Net Acceleration: Is it Ever OK?

In summary, the conversation involves a scenario where a string is rotating a wheel at a fixed angular acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. The question is whether it is valid to consider net acceleration as equal to acceleration forward minus acceleration backward. The suggested solution involves using torque equations and subtracting the torques to find the net angular acceleration, with the friction only increasing the tension in the string.
dan38

Homework Statement

Is it ever alright to consider net acceleration as equalling
acceleration forward - acceleration backward

Here's the scenario:
I have a string rotating a wheel at 9.8 m/s^2 ( which I have converted to Angular Acceleration using a = α * r
There will be friction acting (Which I have used to calculate the angular deceleration
(Net Torque = Inertia*Angular Acceleration)

Homework Equations

So net angular acceleration = Angular Acceleration - Angular Deceleration?
Is that a valid method? Or do I have use F = ma somehow...

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dan38! :smile:
dan38 said:
So net angular acceleration = Angular Acceleration - Angular Deceleration?
Is that a valid method? Or do I have use F = ma somehow...

you have to use τnet = Iα

you can subtract the torques: τ1 - τ2 = Iα, so α = (τ1 - τ2)/I :wink:

hmm but how do I convert the string's movement to a torque acting on the wheel? (Given that I only know it's acceleration)

dan38 said:
hmm but how do I convert the string's movement to a torque acting on the wheel? (Given that I only know it's acceleration)

oh, do you mean that the string is attached to something whose acceleration is fixed and known?

but then what is the relevance of the friction? :confused:

You're stating that the string is accelerating at 9.8 m / s2, regardless of the friction. In this case the angular acceleration of the wheel is fixed, and all the friction does is increase the tension in the string above that which is required for angular acceleration of the wheel (if there was no friction).

Related to Net Acceleration: Is it Ever OK?

1. What is net acceleration?

Net acceleration is the overall change in velocity of an object over a period of time. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity.

2. How is net acceleration calculated?

Net acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the net acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. Is net acceleration always a positive value?

No, net acceleration can be positive, negative, or even zero. Positive net acceleration occurs when an object is speeding up, negative net acceleration occurs when an object is slowing down, and zero net acceleration occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity.

4. Can net acceleration ever be harmful?

Yes, excessive net acceleration can be harmful to both living organisms and inanimate objects. For example, rapid acceleration in a car can cause whiplash for passengers, and excessive acceleration of a spacecraft can cause damage to its components.

5. When is it acceptable to use net acceleration?

Net acceleration is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects. It can also be used in sports, such as calculating the acceleration of a basketball player running down the court. However, it is important to use appropriate safety measures and not exceed safe acceleration limits in any situation.