Have you built a Van de Graff Accelerator before?

• Thread starter Fullhawking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accelerator
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's past project, a Tesla Coil, and their current project, a small particle accelerator. They are seeking advice on building a Van de Graff generator and inquire if anyone has built a similar device. The conversation also mentions the existence of a large Van de Graff generator in the Science Museum in Boston and recommends visiting or checking out their website for resources.
Fullhawking
Last summer I finished my Tesla Coil and am now working on my next summer project, a small particle accelerator. I figured the easiest place to start would be with some sort of Van de Graff generator. I was wondering if anyone out there has built any similar device and has any useful tips, resources, or general direction I could take.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that this idea was tried in the '40s when Physicists were trying to 'split the atom'. (I may be wrong...)

However, the largest V de G in the world is in the Science museum in Boston, Mass. If I remember rightly, this is only one half of the original and was used in particle research back in the '40s.

It is well worth a visit - I went there nearly 20 years ago and still remember the stunning display of sparks, cracks and bangs. Awesome!

Perhaps you could visit or check out their website?

:smile:

What is a Van de Graff Accelerator?

A Van de Graff Accelerator is a type of particle accelerator used in scientific research to accelerate subatomic particles to high speeds in order to study their behavior and properties.

How does a Van de Graff Accelerator work?

The Van de Graff Accelerator works by using a motorized belt to continuously transfer electrons from a charged metal dome to a hollow metal sphere. This creates a strong electric field that accelerates the particles as they travel through a tube towards the target.

What types of particles can a Van de Graff Accelerator accelerate?

A Van de Graff Accelerator can accelerate a wide range of particles, including protons, electrons, and atomic nuclei.

What are the main uses of a Van de Graff Accelerator?

A Van de Graff Accelerator is commonly used in research to study the properties of subatomic particles, as well as in medical treatments such as cancer therapy.

What are the advantages of using a Van de Graff Accelerator?

The main advantages of a Van de Graff Accelerator are its ability to accelerate particles to high speeds, its high energy efficiency, and its ability to produce a continuous and stable beam of particles for research purposes.