Job for a mathematician or a physicist

In summary, there are a variety of job opportunities for those with backgrounds in physics and mathematics. Some examples include working in the industrial sector in areas such as geophysics, astrophysics, condensed matter, medical physics, and nuclear/particle physics. Many physicists also branch out into other fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. Other options include banking, actuary science, and quantitative analysis for investment banks. It is important to focus on finding a job that aligns with your interests and qualifications, rather than getting too caught up in job opportunities while still studying.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i am not yet a physicist nor mathematician but i wnated to know what kind of other are there for them beside research in acadamy and tutoring?

some examples I've come to are:
cryptographer, opticicst (if that's how you call someone who is working in optics).

Physics news on Phys.org
lqg,
I think it is very important that you find out what kind of job you'd really like to do. Please take my advice that you should spend at least as much energy on that question, as on math & physics themselves. And when you have found out, do everything you can to get maximum qualification for exactly that kind of job. Math and physics hold the great danger of losing yourself in complicated abstract 'ivory-tower' problems, and when you finally apply for a real job in a real company, the personnel manager will go "You specialized in WHAT?"

i still want to know what kind of jobs are there?
besides it's good to be prepared.

It's hard to go into what's available without knowing more about what area of physics you're interested in. If you're not interested in a faculty position, then most jobs would be in the industrial sector. Some examples of jobs include:

geophysics - lots of work in the oil and gas industry, as well as related mining (diamonds, coal, etc)

astrophysics - jobs could include working at observatories or telescopes, or research positions at NASA or APL, as well as more theoretically oriented projects

condensed matter - this is a huge area, especially in industry. There are dozens of labs studying semiconductors, superconductors, material and interface physics, optics, lasers, laser spectroscopy, nanotechnology, electron microscopy, etc, etc, as well as related areas in biophysics applications

medical physics - research in radiation techniques, diagnostic imaging, MRI, NMR. This could be done at independant labs, hospitals, cancer centers, etc.

nuclear/particle physics - research in nuclear energy, or various things at particle accelerator facilities

As you can see, most of these involve research in one form or another, generally in a non-academic environment. Keep in mind that these are just examples, there's no guarantee that some of these would be available at any given time.

Also, physicists often branch out into other areas beyond physics. Typically, physicists are not only highly trained in physics (of course) but also mathematics, computers (programming, numerical analysis, etc), electronics, and various other skills that apply equally well to other research areas. Examples include chemistry, biology, mathematics and engineering positions.

Here are some quick links I found that may provide some further info:

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/text/jobdetails.cfm?jobid=147
http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/dayInLife.asp?careerID=116
http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=17&page=3

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my teachers told me a lot of out facultiy's graduates have gone into banking ?

With mathematics, you don't have to limit your career to science. You can go into actuary science or work in business.

WIth a physics degree, you can work as an engineer (although employers will tend to favor engineering degrees over physics degrees).

A background in Statistics is really useful. You can work in forestry, biology, chemistry, business, actuary, genetics, and so many other fields.

My recommendation is that you don't place so much emphasis on job opportunities. Just focus on getting your education completed.

I'm saying out of personal experience. I'm still an undergrad but thinking about whether a job will be out there for me drains me emotionally and mentally. It's not worth stressing too much over.

Some of the very top Physics/Maths Phds can find work as quantitative analysists at Investment Banks. They need C++ also.

Actuary is also popular for mathematicians.

Chemistry/ Engineering are good because you can actually do a job in that field. Aside from academia, there are very few professional mathematicians.

1. What kind of jobs are available for mathematicians and physicists?

There are various job opportunities for mathematicians and physicists, including research positions in academia and government, data analysis and modeling roles in industries such as finance and technology, and teaching positions at all levels.

2. What skills do I need to have for a job in mathematics or physics?

Some important skills for these fields include proficiency in mathematical and statistical analysis, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, strong communication and teamwork skills, and the ability to learn and use advanced technologies and software.

3. What level of education is required for a job in mathematics or physics?

Most jobs in these fields require at least a bachelor's degree, and many positions may require a master's or doctoral degree. Additionally, having a strong background in mathematics, physics, and related subjects is essential for success in these fields.

4. Are there any specific industries or fields that mathematicians and physicists typically work in?

While mathematicians and physicists may work in a variety of industries, some common sectors include research and development, education, finance, engineering, and government agencies. However, many job opportunities can also be found in emerging fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, and renewable energy.

5. What is the job outlook for mathematicians and physicists?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for mathematicians and physicists is projected to grow by 26% and 7%, respectively, from 2018 to 2028, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing demand for data analysis and technological advancements in various industries.