Nested Conditional Constructs (TRACING) Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a code segment in C that outputs different statements depending on the value of x. The attempt at a solution identifies that the output should only be x>0, but when tested in an online compiler, it also outputs Hello World. The solution is then explained, stating that the "if ... else" statement is embedded in the outer if and requires proper reading of parentheses.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Manually[/B] trace the following code segments assuming that x equals 12. Show exactly what would be displayed on the terminal.

Code:
if (x > 0) {
    printf("x>0\n");
    if (x < 10) {
        printf("x<10\n");
        if (x == 12) {
            printf("x==12\n");
        }
    }
    else {
        printf("Hello, world\n");
    }
}

Homework Equations

Language: C

The Attempt at a Solution

So looking at this code and going through it step by step I get that the output should just be x>0. Since x=12 the first line of code is right so the program should just stop there and print x>0 right? But when I test this out in an online compiler, it prints out x>0 and Hello World. Why does it do that? I thought that if the "if" part of an "if/else" statement is true then the code in the "if" will be executed and the rest won't mean anything. Why does the program continue on and print Hello World?

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE ONLINE COMPILER WITH THE CODE

Physics news on Phys.org
The "if ... else" is embedded in the outer if. You need to learn to read parentheses (brackets in this case).

phinds said:
The "if ... else" is embedded in the outer if. You need to learn to read parentheses (brackets in this case).
Oh. Ya... I am not sure how I didn't see that. It makes sense now. Thanks!

Related to Nested Conditional Constructs (TRACING) Confusion

1. What are nested conditional constructs in programming?

Nested conditional constructs are programming structures that allow for the execution of certain code blocks based on the evaluation of multiple conditions. They involve using if, else if, and else statements within each other to create complex decision-making processes.

2. How do nested conditional constructs work?

Nested conditional constructs work by first evaluating the condition of the outer if statement. If the condition is met, the code block associated with that statement is executed. If not, the program moves on to the inner if statement, and so on until all conditions have been evaluated. If none of the conditions are met, the else statement, if present, will be executed.

3. What is the purpose of using nested conditional constructs?

The purpose of using nested conditional constructs is to create more complex decision-making processes in a program. They allow for multiple conditions to be evaluated, and different code blocks to be executed depending on the results of those evaluations. This can make programs more efficient and dynamic.

4. What is "tracing" in relation to nested conditional constructs?

In programming, tracing is the process of manually going through a program's code to understand how it works and what it is doing. In the case of nested conditional constructs, tracing involves following the logic and evaluating the conditions to determine which code blocks will be executed in a given scenario.

5. How can I avoid confusion when using nested conditional constructs?

To avoid confusion when using nested conditional constructs, it is important to carefully plan and structure the logic of your program. It can also be helpful to use comments and indentation to make the code more readable. Additionally, testing and debugging the program can help identify any errors or issues with the nested conditional constructs.