Nernst effect and statistical physics

In summary, The conversation is about someone looking for a document or ebook on the topic of Nernst effect in statistical physics. They ask for suggestions and receive a link as a starting point. They also mention the difficulty in finding resources on this topic.
kien02091990
I need document or ebook talk about Nernst effect in statistical physics.
who know that say for me?
Gmail: manhkien_bka@gmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
kien02091990 said:
I need document or ebook talk about Nernst effect in statistical physics.
Hi kien02091990, welcome to physics forums! Has a google search not found what you are looking for? Maybe this is a start? http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/11/5/055071/fulltext/
who know that say for me?
You can set up your physicsforums account so you are automatically alerted by email to forum responses to your thread.

Good luck with your Nernst effect studies. :smile:

thanks you. i begin to study about it.document for it to search very hard :D

Related to Nernst effect and statistical physics

1. What is the Nernst effect?

The Nernst effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to a current-carrying material induces a voltage gradient in the direction perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. This effect is observed in conductors with a net charge carrier density, such as metals, semiconductors, and electrolytes.

2. How does the Nernst effect relate to statistical physics?

The Nernst effect can be explained and predicted by statistical physics, specifically the theory of transport phenomena. This theory models the behavior of charge carriers in materials and predicts the presence of a voltage gradient when a magnetic field is applied.

3. What is the Nernst coefficient and how is it calculated?

The Nernst coefficient is a measure of the strength of the Nernst effect in a material. It is defined as the ratio of the induced voltage gradient to the applied magnetic field. The coefficient can be calculated experimentally by measuring the voltage gradient and the magnetic field strength, or theoretically by using the Onsager relations, which relate the transport coefficients of a material.

4. What are some applications of the Nernst effect?

The Nernst effect has several practical applications, such as in thermoelectric devices, magnetic field sensors, and spintronics. The effect can also be used to measure the strength of magnetic fields and to study the properties of materials, such as the charge carrier density and mobility.

5. How does the Nernst effect differ from the Hall effect?

Both the Nernst effect and the Hall effect are phenomena that occur in the presence of a magnetic field, but they differ in their underlying mechanisms. The Hall effect is caused by the Lorentz force on moving charges, while the Nernst effect is a result of the interactions between charge carriers and a magnetic field. Additionally, the Hall effect produces a transverse voltage, while the Nernst effect produces a voltage gradient in the direction perpendicular to the current and magnetic field.